Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.politics
[email protected] ultimauw@hotmail.com is offline

Default Clueless People Should Be Exempt From Junk Merchandise

On May 3, 11:04 am, Windswept@Home (J) wrote:
We have a hard enough time figuring out things that DO work properly.

So I set-up the Lite-On DVD recorder/VHS combo. Turn on the power and
it tells me to "load disc." HUH? Load disc before setup?? Load a
disc before the time, date, video output, channel scan, etc., have
been programmed in?? If I ignore the message, nothing happens, except
for another error message "no disc." . So I load a disc and the thing
starts recording. DOUBLE HUH????

Not to mention that you may find that the deck won't even allow you
to record a tape to the disc (or visa versa) because of some stupid
copy protection scheme (eg Macrovision). I'm not just talking about a
screwed up picture, but flat out refusing and throwing up a message
saying you can't do it. At least with a separate DVD and VCR deck
you can intercept and remove the Macrovision signal (which is probably
illegal in
Amerika) I am not advocating piracy here, but it would be great to be
able to transfer a movie *THAT YOU PAID FOR* from VHS to DVD, esp.
when the movie is obscure and the chances of it being released to DVD
is almost nil.