Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas G. Marshall Thomas G. Marshall is offline

Default Aligning hinges on box lid, or nearly anything else...

Leon said something like:
"John Santos" wrote in message
.. .

....[snip]...

It seems to me that if the two hinges aren't both attached to the lid
such that the hinge pins are lined up (in 3 dimensions, which means 6
degrees of freedom, though the plane of the surface you are mounting
the hinges on would remove one of those), you'll still have problems.

Hinges typically have the barrel that you can align with the back
edge of the lid. That will keep the hinge pins on the same line.

No, I've tried that, and perhaps it's just me but there just isn't enough
accuracy gained by doing this. If the barrel is not 100% aligned (by the
slightest fraction of a degree) then that angle will "grow" the error the
further down the lid; the longer the lid, the worse.