Posted to alt.home.repair
jim evans[_2_] jim evans[_2_] is offline

Default How Do I Rehang Patio Screen on Its Track?

On Sat, 03 May 2008 18:07:44 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

clipped

I keep improving the sketch. Here's the latest:
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3...ercomboki3.gif

Very good diagrams. I'm sure there is something I am missing,
but.....can you not prop something
behind the wheel to hold it whilst you screw the door to it? Even a
strip of cloth around the back of
the wheel, insert wheel into track, have someone hold the ends of the
cloth to start the screw, pull
the cloth out when the door is in place.

I am considering trying to attach the rollers to a ribbon, spaced at
the correct distance apart. Then putting them in the track, put the
door in place and pull the ribbon to hold the rollers against the door
and move it until the holes line up. But, I've not come up with a way
to attache them to the ribbon securely enough while releasing the
ribbon after the rollers are attached. Another issue, however the
rollers are attached to the ribbon they must not leave adhesive that
will impede the rollers rotating freely on the hub.

I don't think putting a cloth "pad" behind the rollers to hold them in
place will work. The rollers must be held flat against the frame to
start the screws, particularly blind like this, and when I try to do
that the roller tip forward and fall out of the track.

I'm now considering this approach
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9...tippinguo6.gif
but have not yet been to the store to get longer screws and don't know
whether a screw long enough to facilitate this will, when tightened,
strike the back of the channel/track.