Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default nuts with nylon inserts versus lock washers and jamb nuts

On Thu, 01 May 2008 23:48:43 -0400, mm
wrote:

I bought one of those little kit trailers, what you can get for about
350 dollars, with a 4x8' bed, for a one time use, and some little uses
aftewrads. From Harbor Freight that carries 990 pounds they say. I
only need to carry less than 100.

Assembling it today, I noticed that they depend on nuts with nylon
inserts to keep the nuts from coming all the way off. They depend on
tightening them tighlly to keep them from coming loose.

Is that enough or should I put split ring lock washers under each nut.

Or would it be better, just as good, to put jamb nuts on the bolts
that are long enough.

IIRC the instructions say in one place to check that the nuts are
tight after 100 miles, which seems like a good idea, but in another
place I think it said every 100 miles!!!!!

Thanks

There is so much help here from many of you, rather than several
replies, I'm going to thank everyone here -- Thank you -- and followup
here.

I'm very encouraged about the nylon inserts. My one concern still is
that somehow they use a different kind of nylon in China that won't
work as well?

As it turns out, I bought the trailer 15 months ago and had it shipped
to my brother. The instructions didn't show lock washers for any of
the bolts I'd gotten to when I posted, but yesterday I got to the 4
square U-bolts that hold on the axle and the instructions said they
used lock washers. But none were enclosed.

I had downloaded the instructoins from Harbor Freight, and they have
changed them in the last 15 months and the new instructions show NO
lock washers. Surely this isn't to save money, so they must think
it's as good or better. Yet after reading all your posts, I'm still
going to use them under those 8 nuts, because it seems like it can't
make it worse. ??

FTR, my instructions showed a mixture of English and metric bolts, but
the only bolts enclosed were metric. The new online instructions now
correct some slight mistakes and also match the bolts etc. that they
enclosed, except that neither mention that I need a grease or a grease
gun, maybe.

There is some grease on the bearings, but after I put the hub and
bearing on the axle, am I supposed to use the grease fitting to fill
the whole chamber with wheel bearing grease? All it says it to fill
the cap at the end with grease.