Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Trepanning and Parting Off

In article ,
James Waldby wrote:

On 2008-05-02, Joseph Gwinn joegwinn@... wrote:

I vaguely knew (from reading old books) that there was such a tool, and
that it involved a gooseneck, but I had the "picture" upsidedown in my
mind, and couldn't see how it would work. I just googled it, and found
a book from 1910 that explained the principle as applied to use in a
planer. They did understand the self-feeding effect, saying that the
gooseneck would eliminate gouging the work, but a sufficiently rigid
machine didn't need gooseneck tools.

Yep.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Skd...lpg=RA8-PA36&d
q=gooseneck+tool+lathe&source=web&ots=edrQWKc6hu&s ig=QsKeq0Vn7zebOdjC5ydY
KtuqnkA&hl=en#PRA8-PA35,M1

Hmm ... I don't think that I'm going to bother cut-and-pasting
all three chunks of that URL. I know the tool anyway, and see them
occasionally on eBay auctions.

Just for reference, here's a working link to the same page, with
non-essential parts (ie, the last two-thirds) cut away:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Skd...AJ&pg=RA8-PA36

The "Download PDF - 36.3M" link on that page fetches a pdf file
with 1100-odd scanned pages from what appear to be pamphlets #41
through 110 of Machinery's Reference Series, ca. 1908-1913.

That's right.

Also, regarding cut-and-paste of broken-up URL's like that,
I usually highlight the whole mess, paste it into Firefox's
URL box, then delete the return characters to fix it, as
opposed to cutting and pasting three separate parts.

The cut&paste exercise is not necessary if the poster provided the start
and end brackets needed by the newsreader (or email client) to know
exactly what is the URL string.

I do provide those brackets, so when you see something like
"http://www.whatever.com/stuff", just click on it, even if it wrapped
to multiple lines. It's the and that do the job.

The exception is when the URL is in a quoted message, and so extra quote
mark characters have been inserted.