Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Mark is offline

Default Repairing a heat pump leak?

On May 2, 8:28*pm, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:
On Fri, 2 May 2008 14:31:47 -0400, wgd wrote:
My townhouse has the original York Champion heat pump from 1983....
The service guy had been busy trying to sell me a new heat pump. That's
all they want to do. My two closest neighbors in this section still
have their original York heat pumps. They were just good units....

the epoxy probably will never work becasue the refrigerent is always
under pressure and will force its way out before the epoxy can set...

I would do one of two things

1) find a pro that will repair the leak for a resonable charge by
soldering or replacing that section,,,, you might want to check the
rest of the line to make sure the rest of it is not also corroded and
readay to go....

2) if the leak is slow enough say that it needs refilling once a year
or so...buy a set of hoses and adapters and learn how to refill the
system yourself... can you buy R22 these days?

Mark