Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Repairing a heat pump leak?

On Fri, 2 May 2008 14:31:47 -0400, wgd wrote:

My townhouse has the original York Champion heat pump from 1983....

The service guy had been busy trying to sell me a new heat pump. That's
all they want to do. My two closest neighbors in this section still
have their original York heat pumps. They were just good units....

Separate from its physical condition, your system is twenty-five years
old and likely well past its economic life. The SEER ratings of
today's new units are double that of your current system, so your
cooling costs could very well be a lot higher than they need be --
ditto your heating costs. Depending upon local climate, your home's
heating and cooling loads and utility rates, it might make sense to
replace your system now, especially if those rates are steadily moving
upward.

Heat pumps have advanced considerably over the past twenty-five years
and in the last two to three years in particular. Again, you might
want to take advantage of those gains now, especially if your current
system is starting to show its age. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Cheers,
Paul