Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Aligning hinges on box lid, or nearly anything else...

On Apr 29, 9:38 am, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:
Sorry for this, but this has always mystified me.

Given a small box that I can put a lid on with either a piano hinge or two
smaller hinges, how on earth do I align it so that it closes perfectly?

I envision using some kind of double sided tape to attach the hinges until
by experimentation it closes right, but I am not quite sure what else to do.

It'd be *less* of a headache to mortise them than surface
mount them in a case like yours. Let the scratch gauge
set the hinges dead parallel.

To get the screws dead center, spot glue the hinges
with superglue, then drill and recountersink .