Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN Mortimer Schnerd, RN is offline

Default Freshly soldered joint leaks; what now?

Red Green wrote:
As already said, redo it. There are several thing that make a good job. One
is to make sure the joints are REALLY cleaned. Shiny copper clean.

Get yourself some inside & outside tubing cleaners. Good for lots of other
stuff too but don't get them cruddy then use to clean tubing.

I am happy to report the job is finished and no more leaks. I wandered down to
Lowes and bought a few things: specifically a heat shield and a MAP torch. I
cut a new section, cleaned up the ends bright and shiny, fluxed the unions and
the ends of the tubing and had at it.

The map torch was a big improvement over the propane torch I had been using.
One of the things I liked was the momentary switch on it... I pressed the
trigger, the gas came on and then it ignited. ZIt stayed ignited until i let go
of the trigger, allowing me to free up my hands very quickly. I also dug out
the knee pads which made it much more comfortable.

So, bottom line: next fall when the temperatures start dropping, I can turn off
the water under the house, access a port on the valve and then blow out the line
from the valveto under the back deck to the outside faucet on the edge of the
deck... leaving no water in the line to freeze and split. Life is good.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com