Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default nuts with nylon inserts versus lock washers and jamb nuts

On May 2, 11:13*am, "Pete C." wrote:
mm wrote:

I bought one of those little kit trailers, what you can get for about
350 dollars, with a 4x8' bed, for a one time use, and some little uses
aftewrads. *From Harbor Freight that carries 990 pounds they say. *I
only need to carry less than 100.

Assembling it today, I noticed that they depend on nuts with nylon
inserts to keep the nuts from coming all the way off. They depend on
tightening them tighlly to keep them from coming loose.

Is that enough or should I put split ring lock washers under each nut.

Or would it be better, just as good, to put jamb nuts on the bolts
that are long enough.

IIRC the instructions say in one place to check that the nuts are
tight after 100 miles, which seems like a good idea, but in another
place I think it said every 100 miles!!!!!

Thanks

The key difference between the nylock nuts and a conventional nut with a
lockwasher is that while either one may work loose from the tight state,
after that point, the nylock will stay put on the bolt, while the
conventional nut and lockwasher have no retention after the compression
of the lockwasher is lost and will continue to turn with vibration until
the nut completely falls off.- Hide quoted text -

Another key application for nylock nuts is that they can be left
slightly loose for those instances where you want to allow for
movement such as at pivot points. You can obtain a snug fit so things
aren't flopping around, but you can still move the parts.

All steering assemblies and some brake assemblies on official All
American Soap Box Derby cars use nylock nuts for this very purpose. In
fact, by rule, the steering assemblies require *two* nylock nuts on
the same bolt. Talk about overkill!