Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default WAS: Briggs & Stratton Engine Problem

On May 2, 11:37*am, Manjo wrote:
The earlier thread WAS getting too long and awkward.

I had a question on the spark arrester: *the closest thing I can find
is a slotted "cap" on the muffler that can be adjusted to direct
exhaust. *My muffler is similar to the one on page 19, reference
number 300D.

http://home.comcast.net/~manjo1111/B...ILLUS%20PARTS%...

The difference is, after removing the deflector, reference number 676,
the cylindrical muffler is one welded/soldered piece. *I can easily
blow 15-psi air through the muffler so I'm assuming it's not clogged.
Is this a safe assumption?

I also soaked the carburetor in Berrymans B-19 carb cleaner solution
for about 2 hours with no improvement. *The bike still takes several
pulls to get it started and it has to run at 1/2 choke until it's
warmed up enough to run with no choke at all. *The engine still does
not run at 100% speed even after it's warmed up.

Just a quick summation for anyone tuning in late: *thoroughly cleaned/
blew out carb with compressed air, replaced diaphragm, cleaned pick-up
tube. *Replaced carb gaskets to engine and to gas tank. *Thoroughly
cleaned out gas tank. *Cleaned and re-installed magneto at proper
setting/height from flywheel. *Changed the spark plug twice. *Oil
filled to top of filler hole. *Compression is 75 psi. *Rough leak down
test goes to 100 psi with no audible leaks.

I connected a spark gap tester between the spark plug and the cable.
I was able to start the engine and run with the tester in place set at
approximately 0.030 inches. *I get a bluish-orangey color spark across
the gap. *As the engine slows down, the spark breaks into two orange
lines with a little blue now and then. *Since the engine runs at good
speed with a more blue than orange in the spark, I'm assuming the
orange color is there because the gap tester is taking away some of
the current.

Thanks,

Manjo 1998 Briggs and Stratton "L" head engine on a Giant-Vac leaf
blower

isnt 75 lb low