Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default CFL vs Incandescent

In , Jim
Redelfs wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

The industry is WAY too young to state, unequivocally, that CFLs
are superior to incandescent.

Fluorescent lamps have been around for a VERY long time.
Their advantages over incandescent are well documented.

I agree. Do you mean that statement to include COMPACT fluorescent
lamps? Of that, I am not yet convinced.

I first saw one on a store shelf in the early 1980's.

I first bought one for home use in 1989.

I first bought one with an electronic ballast in 1991, maybe 1990.
Consumer Reports had an article on them with test results in October 1992.

In mid-1992, I have already seen a couple thousand installed in my
delivery area (delivering sandwiches by bicycle).

Most electrical supply shops had them in 1991. Home centers had them
since a time when Hechingers was still the main home center chain and I
had not yet even heard of Lowes or Home Depot.

- Don Klipstein )