Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CFL vs Incandescent

Jim Redelfs wrote:

I was born in Minnesota. There is NO WAY in hades that passive solar
and body heat is the ONLY source of heat there. I'm not calling you a
liar, because I am quite sure you believe what you claimed. I will
not believe it until I research the claim beginning with a cite by
you.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mall_of...ite_note-VOA-4

"Despite Minnesota's sub-zero temperatures in the winter, only the mall's
entrances are heated. Heat is allowed in through skylights above Nickelodeon
Universe. Heat is produced by lighting fixtures, other electric devices and
also by employees and guests of the mall in sufficient amounts to keep it
comfortable. In fact, even during the winter, air conditioning systems need
to be run nonstop during peak hours to ensure a comfortable shopping
environment."

From http://wcco.com/local/heating.costs.cold.2.638318.html

" "In reality, we don't heat the mall," said Anna Long, a spokesperson for
the Mall of America. "There's no central heating system which is incredible
if you think about it."

Shoppers are heating up the mall. The body heat of 40 million visitors each
year is one of three heating sources. Sunshine from the skylights, which
are seven and a half acres of glass and miles of artificial lights help too.
The mall is typically 72 degrees in the winter. "

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In , Jim
Redelfs wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Heck, no! They know a CA$H COW when they see it.
Compact Fluorescent Lamps provide a higher profit
margin since they CO$T more.

Negated by the much longer service life.

The average service life of the average Compact Fluorescent Lamp is
nowhere near that claimed of the manufacturers. Makers are including a
multi-year guarantee in confidence that most owners of prematurely
failed lamps will not have the documentation required to avail
themselves of the warranty coverage or will simply not bother.

I have a lot of experience with CFLs. Most do last as long as claimed
or only a little less.

Keep in mind that the industry standard for lamp life is for testing
with 3 hours runtime per start. Despite that being not very realistic for
most home use, I still find most CFLs to have life expectancy in home
use indoors being a majority of what is claimed.

Ones used where they stay on a long time once started mostly meet or
exceed life expectancy claims in my experience.

The industry is WAY too young to state, unequivocally, that CFLs are
superior to incandescent.

Without legislative strong-arm enactments, the 50-cent, incandescent
light bulb would never be replaced by another technology.

Without legislation, airbags for cars may still be something newfangled
now.

I have been using CFLs since 1989. Plenty do work well and last a few
thousand operating hours even in typical home use.

In my experience, early failures are mostly in these areas:

1. Ones overheating in downlights. Not all can take the heat
accumulation in downlights. Screw-base ones over 23 watts fare
especially badly there.

2. Higher wattage ones in small enclosed fixtures.

3. Lights of America brand, though they may have done better after I
largely stopped buying them in 2001.

4. Dollar store ones - I find a lot of things wrong with most of those.
I find those to largely be stool specimens. Bad things there include the
only smoky CFL failures in my experience, 100% rate of falling short of
light output claims in my experience, and a high rate of lousy color
and/or lousy color rendering.

5. A bad run of 25 watt spirals around 2001 or so.

6. Ones with glow switch starters (they blink a few times when turned on)
fare worse with frequent starting. But screw-base integral-ballast ones
with glow switch starters appear to me to have become obsolete in the mid
1990's or so.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 7:53*am, Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
having consumers buy and find it out later sure
doesn't help getting them adopted.

Why the urge to get[ing] CFLs adopted?

As a nation, we couldn't make the most obvious, most important
switch-over (metric), but we can sure shoot ourselves in the foot and
MANDATE a phase-out of the perfectly good, viable, affordable,
world-wide-user-based, CHEAP light bulb!!

Congress passed an "Energy" bill.

My President SIGNED the damned thing.

...to phase-out the cheap light bulb.

[muttering] Brilliant. *Just flat-out BRILLIANT!! *

Do you REALLY think the manufacturing and retail businesses are pushing
CFLs because of some etherial, warm and fuzzy, environmentalism
awareness?

Heck, no! *They know a CA$H COW when they see it. *Compact Fluorescent
Lamps provide a higher profit margin since they CO$T more.

I saw the most amazing thing on the employee rag at Wal-Mart: *A store
rooftop completely covered with solar panels; *Except those numerous
locations occupied by a large sky light. *And HUGE air conditioners
popping-up around the roof.

Just ONE of those air conditioners will consume more energy in one WEEK
than ALL the solar collectors accumulate in a month of Sundays.

What about the footprint of the battery and equipment to STORE the
power, the equipment to invert the DC to usable AC, and the arrangements
and efforts to get that collected power to ONE of the break room
refrigerator or some SIMILAR SINGLE device?

Don't get me wrong: *I support the development of so-called ALTERNATIVE
energy. *I am sure I am paying for it now in many ways.

Until that "breakthrough" discovery" we've all been waiting for (a
viable replacement for oil and wired electricity) we should NOT mandate
a conversion to alternate energy and technologies (illumination) based
on CO$T alone.
--
* * * * * *
JR

Its the ignorant guys like you that make advaces in life BS , a bunck
of **** heads
Posted to alt.home.repair

By the way, while it's not on-topic it relates to something someone
said earlier in this thread.

A Month of Sundays is not a period of time. It's a long vacation.

In other words, a month of Sundays = 30 days OFF, not 30 X 7 days.
That would make no sense given the expression.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In about 102 fixtures/lamps in my home I have installed 68 CFL's. Some were
installed in 1998. Thus far I have had a total of 2 failures. The failures
were CFL's installed in 1998 and left on 24/7. Will be replacing more as
incandescent's fail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/06/08 06:40 am News wrote:

In about 102 fixtures/lamps in my home I have installed 68 CFL's. Some were
installed in 1998. Thus far I have had a total of 2 failures. The failures
were CFL's installed in 1998 and left on 24/7. Will be replacing more as
incandescent's fail.

When we moved into this house in Nov 2003, we replaced most of the bulbs
by Sylvania CFLs. Many of those have had to be replaced already; some
emitted "cooked electronics" smells at the end.

I'm going to go easy on the CFLs and hope that LEDs become more widely
available.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , News wrote:
In about 102 fixtures/lamps in my home I have installed 68 CFL's. Some were
installed in 1998. Thus far I have had a total of 2 failures. The failures
were CFL's installed in 1998 and left on 24/7. Will be replacing more as
incandescent's fail.

When did they fail? Are their first replacements still working? This
means those are lasting at least 35,000 hours - which sounds too good to
be true!

I find that CFLs running 24/7 mostly last 1-2.5 years. I have seen
some last 3 years, but they are noticeably faded by 2 years.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 05/06/08 06:40 am News wrote:

When we moved into this house in Nov 2003, we replaced most of the bulbs
by Sylvania CFLs. Many of those have had to be replaced already; some
emitted "cooked electronics" smells at the end.

I'm going to go easy on the CFLs and hope that LEDs become more widely
available.

So, most of your CFLs lasted less than 5 years? How long would
incandescents have lasted?

Meanwhile, are you putting any CFLs in small enclosed fixtures or
recessed ceiling fixtures? CFLs can overheat there, especially if they
are higher wattage ones (more than 23 watts).

LEDs are advancing, but slowly. LED technology appears to me to have
been advancing about half as fast as computer technology has over the past
many years.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/06/08 06:39 pm Don Klipstein wrote:

When we moved into this house in Nov 2003, we replaced most of the bulbs
by Sylvania CFLs. Many of those have had to be replaced already; some
emitted "cooked electronics" smells at the end.

I'm going to go easy on the CFLs and hope that LEDs become more widely
available.

So, most of your CFLs lasted less than 5 years? How long would
incandescents have lasted?

Probably not as long, unless I had bought 130-volt ones. But the point
is that the CFLs did not last as long as is being claimed. Maybe the
fact that they were Sylvania has something to do with it: a few years
ago I bought a couple of packs of Sylvania incandescents, some of which
popped as soon as I flipped the switch and some of which lasted only a
day or two.

Meanwhile, are you putting any CFLs in small enclosed fixtures or
recessed ceiling fixtures? CFLs can overheat there, especially if they
are higher wattage ones (more than 23 watts).

Many were CFL floodlights (65-watt equivalent) and were installed in the
cans that had previously held incandescent floodlights. Some that didn't
last long were the exposed-spiral type and were not in cans.

LEDs are advancing, but slowly. LED technology appears to me to have
been advancing about half as fast as computer technology has over the past
many years.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 05/06/08 06:39 pm Don Klipstein wrote:

When we moved into this house in Nov 2003, we replaced most of the bulbs
by Sylvania CFLs. Many of those have had to be replaced already; some
emitted "cooked electronics" smells at the end.

I'm going to go easy on the CFLs and hope that LEDs become more widely
available.

So, most of your CFLs lasted less than 5 years? How long would
incandescents have lasted?

Probably not as long, unless I had bought 130-volt ones. But the point
is that the CFLs did not last as long as is being claimed. Maybe the
fact that they were Sylvania has something to do with it: a few years
ago I bought a couple of packs of Sylvania incandescents, some of which
popped as soon as I flipped the switch and some of which lasted only a
day or two.

My experience with Sylvania, both CFL and incandescent, has been
generally good. I have been using maybe half a dozen Sylvania CFLs over
the past several years, and had 2 die young. One made it to maybe 3,000
operating hours IIRC and then "died young" in an enclosed ceiling fixture.
The other died after 20-30 hours in a downlight (ceiling fan light). I
should have mailed the latter one back to Sylvania - I thought of that
after my dumpster was emptied! All my other Sylvania CFLs have yet to
die! I also have Sylvania incandescents not giving me any complaints -
and I see enough Sylvania incandescents often enough along the way to know
despite generally not using incandescents to light my home!

Also keep in mind that a 130V "100W" incandescent, when operated at
120V, consumes about 88 watts while producing hardly more light than a 75W
120V incandescent. Analyze what would cost you more - loss of maybe 60%
reduction of bulb changing cost, or the extra 13 watts of electricity for
each lightbulb? All too often, it is the elctricity!

Meanwhile, are you putting any CFLs in small enclosed fixtures or
recessed ceiling fixtures? CFLs can overheat there, especially if they
are higher wattage ones (more than 23 watts).

Many were CFL floodlights (65-watt equivalent) and were installed in the
cans that had previously held incandescent floodlights. Some that didn't
last long were the exposed-spiral type and were not in cans.

I have lowish expectation of what CFL floodlights do in recessed cans,
especially if they are other than Philips SLS non-dimmable of wattage up
to 23 watts. Philips SLS non-dimmable 15-23 watts is actually *rated* for
use in recessed ceiling cans ("heat hellholes" for CFLs). I suspect
Sears "Hardware Stores" have them. Bulbs.com has them, as well as R40 (5
inch diameter) and R30 (3.75 inch diameter) snap-on reflectors for them to
use in recessed cans. Use the bigger one where it fits with about or over
1/4 inch clearance for any airflow that manages to go up the fixture - the
smaller one appears to me to have significant optical compromise for
smaller diameter.

In my experience, the more successful recessed ceiling fixtures with
CFLs are ones with their own ballasts and requiring pin-ballastless CFLs
of specific type/wattage. Better to use ones that take
more-industry-standard bulbs, such as any offered by all of the "Big 3" or
which are available at both Home Depot and Lowes. The most-common,
most-standardized of those are 13 watt twintube/PL/TT and
quadtube/doubletwintube/cluster/PLC/DTT, and the 26 watt
doubletwintube/quadtube/cluster/PLC/DTT.

Other than that, among screw-base (ballast-included) CFLs, things are
usually better if at least one and preferably both of the following
conditions are true:

1. The CFL is of one of the "Big 3" brands - GE, Philips or Sylvania.

2. The CFL comes with the "Energy Star" logo. The CFL needs to pass some
sort of testing for some sort of quality assurance and some sort of good
functionality as well as good energy efficiency in order to be allowed to
have that logo.

Also see in home centers how easy it is to get CFLs with "limited
warranties". Be prepared to make warranty claims if things continue to go
bad - that may force CFL manufacturers to make their CFLs more robust to
various conditions, such as use in recessed cans (or at least say
explicitly enough to not use in recessed cans - and they would sell more
CFLs if they can avoid saying that.)

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 06 May 2008 07:57:34p, Don Klipstein told us...

[...]

While I know that's all true, I still use a few 130V incandescents because
I prefer the color of light they produce, and they're used in
fixtures/areas where dimmers aren't practical (which could at slightly
lower levels produce the same color light).

[...]

While I don't remember the brand, we bought 12 non-dimmable 23W R40 CFLs
for the recessed fixtures in our new kitchen. They've been in use for
almost two years with absolutely no problem. There is approximately a
1/2" inch gap betwen the perimeter of the bulb and the fixture. The lights
are used approximately 6-8 hours per day. So far we've been quite pleased.

[...]

Also, of the many various sizes and types of CFLs we bought over the past
several years, only one died prematurely. All the others are still in
operation. There are a couple I'd like to replace because the light is
much too cool, but they're still working. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)

9W CFL Candle Bulb v 40W Incandescent John UK diy 0 January 19th 08 02:23 PM
Banning incandescent lamps? Richard J Kinch Metalworking 106 January 11th 08 06:57 AM
Incandescent lamp resistance (from sed} - incandescent.pdf John Fields Electronic Schematics 2 May 23rd 07 05:32 PM
halogen or incandescent Em Home Repair 3 March 3rd 07 07:10 PM
incandescent lights not *that* bad? [email protected] UK diy 40 October 13th 05 07:11 PM