Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown pipedown is offline

Default Ice maker stopped

"LouB" wrote in message
Blattus Slafaly ? (3) ¼ wrote:
LouB wrote:
GE refrig with ice maker turned on by putting lever down
Put it down and it made ice for a few hours then just stopped.
Regrig has not been moved or touched in any way. Icemaker just appears
to have died. Any experience with this kind of thing.
Box is 5- 10 years old. Came with house that I bought last year.

TIA

Lou

Did you hit the switch in the ice box and turn it off? Did you bend the
'ice bucket full' arm/switch? Where is the water line taped off? Under
the sink or in the basement?

What switch?? I will look for a switch (where?)

Lou

The switch is that which gets activated when the metal lever gets moved.
Its possible that the switch was broken inside and moving the lever is now
just a dummy move. There should be no additional switches to activate the
icemaker. I find that simple disassembly and reassembly often fixes
electromechanical problems even if you don't find the cause. 50/50 at least
its worth a look in most cases.

Check to see if the ice tray is full, if not the valve isn't even opening.
Give it a day more. you might have just activated it during the defrost
part of the cycle and it needs more time. If additional symptoms occur like
frosting, continuous running or freezup of the fridge compartment then you
may have a deeper problem with the defrost timer or the defrost heating
coil.

In older (not electronic controls) models, the ice maker and defrost timer
were integrated and power to it is supplied through the drfrost heater coil.
If the coil goes open, everything stops working except the cold.