Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] Wiebe Cazemier[_2_] is offline

Default Identifying shorts in CRT socket spark gaps and repairing them

On Thursday 01 May 2008 20:17, Art wrote:

As posted, the spark gaps may be physically inside the crt socket assembly
itself. The odds of disassembly and proper reassembly of most of these
sockets is actually relatively low. It may be done with proper tools and
techniques.
What you may find is that due to arcing at the gaps or external contaminates
that the surfaces may have become carbonized and pitted. At that point it
may be best to look for a new crt socket and just replace it.

This is the socket itself, the underside:

http://www.halfgaar.net/posts/2008-0...cket-underside

I don't see anything that could be a spark gap. It just seems to be a piece of
plastic to connect the tube to the neck board.

A quote from David's post:

What are the components SGH30,31,32? These are between the
cathodes and ground. These may be you spark gaps.

Those are those resistor-like devices I mentioned, which' symbol is two arrows
pointing to eachother. I indeed suspected them as the spark gaps.
Unfortunately, this means that the short is really in the CRT, because the
problem persisted with the red and blue pins desoldered from the PCB. Unless
my tapping caused them to connect briefly, but I doubt that.