Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Incandescent that avoids upcoming ban

ransley wrote:
On Apr 30, 5:32 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Apr 30, 4:30 pm, krw wrote:
In article a38ebf40-a884-4951-86a5-be154bb130bb@
56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com, says...

On Apr 29, 11:11 pm, "John A. Weeks III"
wrote:
In article ,

Jeff wrote:
John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

Why don't you just buy a couple cases of incandescants and
keep them with your 8 tracks. You seem to have missed the
spiraling energy costs and don't seem to care about waste.
Well, it's been a great 7 1/2 years for you hasn't it?

Its funny you claim that the poster doesn't care about waste.
You see, you can toss a regular lightbulb into the trash since
it is basically safe. But the new CF bulbs are hazardous
materials that have to be handled by special licensed
contractors. The contents of those bulbs can kill you. Talk
about waste...

Mercury CFL myths:

http://howtosaveenergy.blogspot.com/...ury-myths.html

And when you go to this web site, what do you find? For proper
disposal
of a broken CFL bulb, contact your local authority for a
community household hazardous waste collection. That means to me
that the things are hazardous, otherwise, why call the
government to get the hazardous waste collection people involved?

There's always someone making excuses rather than moving forward
with conservation. Same thing with global warming which this is
not so coincidentally linked.

There's always someone posting links to sites that they haven't
read
about subjects that they are ignorant of.

Next you are going to tell me that you have never broken a light
bulb in your entire life. So what happens when a semi-load of
these CF things go off the side of a freeway bridge? Does it
kill everyone in the whole neighborhood when all the bulbs break?

-john-

John A. Weeks III 612-720-2854
Newave Communicationshttp://www.johnweeks.com
================================================== ====================-

You better learn up before you pannic chicken little. What do you
do with you tube flourescents, put them in the trash, so does
everyone, and the mercury? what do you do with old thermostats,
well they have 10000 times as much as a bulb and what about some
thermometers, 1000 times as much. Did you know a coal plant
releases twice as much mercury powering a 100w bulb over its life
than a cfl has, and that is airborn mercury, mr sky is falling.
So if you area uses coal your wastefull incandesant is poisoning
you right now with twice the mercury, and you are breathing it
now.

What do I do with a mercury thermometer? When I find one (haven't
seen one for *years*, I take it to the nice man in the NBC suit.
You know, the same guy you're *supposed* to take fluorescents to.

It is very likely the thermometer you use to see if you have a fever has mercury is it.

Nope, much more likely to have alcohol in it now if it isnt digital.

I have them that are old, very old and they have mercury.

Irrelevant to your claim about what others are likely to have.

Its rather unlikely that many have thermometers with mercury in them anymore.