Posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers, misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Incandescent that avoids upcoming ban

There is now a retail-available incandescent that has enough energy
efficiency to get around the upcoming 2012-2014 ban until 2020.

Thanks to Paul M. Eldridge for mentioning this in article
in alt.home.repair in the
"candlelight thread" on April 19th!

These are truly incandescent lamps producing about 90-91% as much light
for 70% as much electricity, in comparison to the highest light output
grades of standard incandescents. Light output is fully on par with soft
white ones that have life expectancy extended to 1500 hours. These
improved incandescents have rated life expectancy of 3,000 hours.

They look like soft white incandescents, both while off and while on.
They actually are incandescent, specifically a variation of the halogen
lamp known as "HIR". They gain energy efficiency by using an
infrared-reflecting coating on the inner surface of the inner halogen
capsule.

Despite being halogen, they are rated to be fully dimmable. Just don't
expect dimming to increase their life as much as dimming increases life of
non-halogen incandescents, since halogens have an extra aging mechanism
that is slowed to a lesser extent by dimming (filament end notching).

Their color, spectrum and color rendering properties are
incandescent-like. The color is more greenish than conventional
incandescent to an extent so small that I usually cannot see this, even
side-by-side against a conventional incandescent while looking for this.
The color difference is of a scale that I have seen between different
conventional incandescents of same color temperature but different
filament winding styles and maybe different tungsten grades. The HIR
lamps definitely *do not* have anywhere near even halfway a "gas mantle"
extent of being greenish.

I just got some at Home Depot a couple hours ago. They are Philips
Halogena "energy saver".

The 70 watt one produces 1600 lumens (22.9 lumens/watt) and the 40 watt
one produces 800 lumens (20 lumens/watt).

Efficiency is improved over conventional incandescent, but is still only
around 35-40% of that of better compact fluorescents.

Since these are halogen lamps, they should have at least some regular
use with being on long enough to fully warm up to keep the "halogen cycle"
chemical process in the inner capsule working properly (as opposed to
being used only briefly). Because of this and their cost, I would rather
not use these in closet lights, refrigerator lights and motion sensor
lights - those applications are where conventional incandescent is plenty
good.

Where I would recommend these: Other locations where compact
fluorescents are not acceptable due to warmup time, performance with
dimmers, temperature often being far from ideal for CFL, or in fixtures
where CFLs equal to 100 watt incandescent tend to overheat. These
should also be good where there is a critical color or color rendering
requirement that no CFL can meet (whether in fact or by fiat or in
someone's head), or for those who have big problems with disposable
built-in electronic ballasts or with lightbulbs having even 3 milligrams
of mercury.

Since these cost $5 per 2-pack and most ordinary spiral CFLs now cost no
more and also last longer and have at least twice the energy efficiency of
these improved incandescents, I still say use CFL where you can.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Apr 27, 7:49�pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
[...]

one can buy cases of regular lamps, before the ban becomes
effective....

stored unused they should last forever
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

What's this bs about a ban? I've not kept up with the messages.

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
There is now a retail-available incandescent that has enough energy
efficiency to get around the upcoming 2012-2014 ban until 2020.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article , S. Barker wrote:

What's this bs about a ban? I've not kept up with the messages.

A recently enacted piece of USA Federal legislation bans manufacture,
sale and importation of certain incandescent lamps, starting in 2012.

"General purpose" incandescent lamps of a certain range of light output
and failing to achieve some specific standard of energy efficiency will be
banned in 2012. This will include 100 and 75 watt "regular"
incandescents. In 2014, this will expand to include 60 and 40 watt
"regular" incandescents that fail to meet that level of energy efficiency.

The "usual regular" incandescents of 75-100 watts will be banned in 2012
and the "usual regular" incandescents of 40-60 watts will be banned in
2014.

The improved incandescents that Paul Eldridge and I mentioned have
sufficient energy efficiency to not be affected until 2020 according to
this law.

GE is planning to put similar ones on the market in 2010.

"Specialty" incandescents are largely not affected. Paul Eldridge
posted a list of unaffected ones in the "candlelight thread" in
alt.home.repair on April 20 in article
.

That one can be viewed via Google (along with 24 other articles in the
"candlelight thread" of at least 104 articles) by going to:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...thread/thread/
695cb5879218f939/b9f8c930e2f6a64e?hl=en&

That article also mentions availability at Home Depot of incandescents
that have sufficient energy efficiency to not be banned in 2012-2014.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article ,
Jeff wrote:

Why don't you just buy a couple cases of incandescants and keep them
with your 8 tracks. You seem to have missed the spiraling energy costs
and don't seem to care about waste. Well, it's been a great 7 1/2 years
for you hasn't it?

Its funny you claim that the poster doesn't care about waste. You
see, you can toss a regular lightbulb into the trash since it is
basically safe. But the new CF bulbs are hazardous materials that
have to be handled by special licensed contractors. The contents
of those bulbs can kill you. Talk about waste...

-john-

John A. Weeks III * * * * * 612-720-2854 * * * * *
Newave Communications * * * * * * * * * * * * http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

Why don't you just buy a couple cases of incandescants and keep them
with your 8 tracks. You seem to have missed the spiraling energy costs
and don't seem to care about waste. Well, it's been a great 7 1/2 years
for you hasn't it?

Its funny you claim that the poster doesn't care about waste. You
see, you can toss a regular lightbulb into the trash since it is
basically safe. But the new CF bulbs are hazardous materials that
have to be handled by special licensed contractors. The contents
of those bulbs can kill you. Talk about waste...

Mercury CFL myths:

http://howtosaveenergy.blogspot.com/...ury-myths.html

There's always someone making excuses rather than moving forward with
conservation. Same thing with global warming which this is not so
coincidentally linked.

Can you imagine where we would be if we had not had CAFE standards. If
all the cars had the same fuel efficiency and smog standards that they
had in the 50's and 60's?

You can get low mercury CFLs if you like. Or recycle, they are
harmless if unbroken.

Jeff

-john-

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Dennis M wrote:
In article , Jeff
wrote:

Dennis M wrote:
In article , (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article , S. Barker wrote:

What's this bs about a ban? I've not kept up with the messages.
A recently enacted piece of USA Federal legislation bans manufacture,
sale and importation of certain incandescent lamps, starting in 2012.
Some (Republican) congresswoman introduced a bill last week to scale back
on that legislation and force Uncle Sam to keep its big nose out of
people's lightbulbs. I hope it goes through.

Why don't you just buy a couple cases of incandescants and keep them
with your 8 tracks. You seem to have missed the spiraling energy costs
and don't seem to care about waste. Well, it's been a great 7 1/2 years
for you hasn't it?

Why don't you eat me, smartass. I use CFL bulbs in my home where they're
warranted, I just want the option to use incandescents in certain
situations also.

You still have that option. Specialty and low wattage lamps are exempt.
There's few places where an edison base lamp couldn't be replaced with
one of the CFLs satisfactorily. It pays to not buy the cheap discount
store CFLs. And as Don pointed out, you can buy the new halogens, which
will certainly fall in price.

I'd still like to use R12, but the switchover did close the ozone
hole. Remember that?

Sometimes you have to do something because it has a far greater benefit.

Jeff

I have a sneaking suspicion the majority of Americans do
too.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article ,
says...
Dennis M wrote:
In article , Jeff
wrote:

Dennis M wrote:
In article ,
(Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article , S. Barker wrote:

[...]

I'm not about to use CFLs anywhere I spend any time. I'm not about
to replace all my fixtures either. A case of bulbs here, and a case
there...

I'd still like to use R12, but the switchover did close the ozone
hole. Remember that?

Oh, good grief!

Sometimes you have to do something because it has a far greater benefit.

Someimes you just have to be a good little sheep, eh Komrad?

Jeff

I have a sneaking suspicion the majority of Americans do
too.

Sheep? Evidently...

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

funny you would say that to him. I was thinking about doing just that
(buying cases of bulbs, not keeping them with the eight tracks) My 8-tracks
are in a controlled environment due to the foam pressers and the plastic.
The bulbs will not need this specialized attention.

"Jeff" wrote in message
m...

Why don't you just buy a couple cases of incandescants and keep them
with your 8 tracks. You seem to have missed the spiraling energy costs and
don't seem to care about waste. Well, it's been a great 7 1/2 years for
you hasn't it?

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

I remember no such thing. The hole in the ozone has been opening and
closing for centuries. And no refrigerant will EVER cool as well as R-12.
I also have a supply of that, and add to my systems as needed.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Dennis M wrote:
In article , Jeff
wrote:

Dennis M wrote:
In article , (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article , S. Barker
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In , John A. Weeks
III wrote:

In article ,
Jeff wrote:

Why don't you just buy a couple cases of incandescants and keep them
with your 8 tracks. You seem to have missed the spiraling energy costs
and don't seem to care about waste. Well, it's been a great 7 1/2 years
for you hasn't it?

Its funny you claim that the poster doesn't care about waste. You
see, you can toss a regular lightbulb into the trash since it is
basically safe. But the new CF bulbs are hazardous materials that
have to be handled by special licensed contractors. The contents
of those bulbs can kill you. Talk about waste...

In many areas of the USA, households are still allowed to dump CFLs into
regular trash.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"allowed".?!?!? Hell, i'll throw them whereever i want. And that's
usually in the trash can after they've been knocked off their socket by some
flying object or swing board.

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message

In many areas of the USA, households are still allowed to dump CFLs into
regular trash.

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article ,
Jeff wrote:

John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

Why don't you just buy a couple cases of incandescants and keep them
with your 8 tracks. You seem to have missed the spiraling energy costs
and don't seem to care about waste. Well, it's been a great 7 1/2 years
for you hasn't it?

Its funny you claim that the poster doesn't care about waste. You
see, you can toss a regular lightbulb into the trash since it is
basically safe. But the new CF bulbs are hazardous materials that
have to be handled by special licensed contractors. The contents
of those bulbs can kill you. Talk about waste...

Mercury CFL myths:

http://howtosaveenergy.blogspot.com/...ury-myths.html

And when you go to this web site, what do you find? For proper disposal
of a broken CFL bulb, contact your local authority for a community
household hazardous waste collection. That means to me that the
things are hazardous, otherwise, why call the government to get the
hazardous waste collection people involved?

There's always someone making excuses rather than moving forward with
conservation. Same thing with global warming which this is not so
coincidentally linked.

There's always someone posting links to sites that they haven't read
about subjects that they are ignorant of.

Next you are going to tell me that you have never broken a light
bulb in your entire life. So what happens when a semi-load of
these CF things go off the side of a freeway bridge? Does it
kill everyone in the whole neighborhood when all the bulbs break?

-john-

John A. Weeks III * * * * * 612-720-2854 * * * * *
Newave Communications * * * * * * * * * * * * http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

S. Barker wrote:
"allowed".?!?!? Hell, i'll throw them whereever i want. And that's
usually in the trash can after they've been knocked off their socket by some
flying object or swing board.

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message

In many areas of the USA, households are still allowed to dump CFLs into
regular trash.

- Don Klipstein )

Hmmm
Very good. I guess you throw away used batteries into the trash can as
well? Your grand kids will appreciate it.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

[...]

You seem to have missed the bit that even if a high mercury CFL burst
and all the mercury vaporized in the room, it would still be harmless.

There's always someone making excuses rather than moving forward with
conservation. Same thing with global warming which this is not so
coincidentally linked.

There's always someone posting links to sites that they haven't read
about subjects that they are ignorant of.

Next you are going to tell me that you have never broken a light
bulb in your entire life. So what happens when a semi-load of
these CF things go off the side of a freeway bridge? Does it
kill everyone in the whole neighborhood when all the bulbs break?

What happens if a truckload of tuna veers off the road?

Until something better comes along, it's CFLs. Of all the hazards in
life, they rank pretty low.

Jeff

-john-

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

krw wrote:
In article ,
says...
Dennis M wrote:
In article , Jeff
wrote:

Dennis M wrote:
In article ,
(Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article , S. Barker wrote:

[...]

And, why not?

I'm not about
to replace all my fixtures either.

Why would you have to?

A case of bulbs here, and a case
there...

I'd still like to use R12, but the switchover did close the ozone
hole. Remember that?

Oh, good grief!

I suppose you are still questioning evolution? And global warming?

Sometimes you have to do something because it has a far greater benefit.

Someimes you just have to be a good little sheep, eh Komrad?

Look whose calling who a sheep?

Sometimes it pays not to be a sheep and blindly believe all that horse
manure W has been dishing out for the last 7 years. I'd say lemming is a
more appropriate term.

The tungsten light bulb has been around almost 100 years. There's
nothing else we use that comes anywhere near being as inefficient. The
common light bulb rings in at about 5%. It doesn't have great color
rendition unless corrected in which case it has a shorter life or is
even less efficient, it runs up the heat load in summer, it has a
terrible lifespan... The only real advantage it has is that it is cheap.
But not cheap when you consider the lifespan or the energy it uses.

But hey, if you guys love your 100 year old design 100 Watt bulbs. I
don't happen to have your emotional attachment.

Jeff

Jeff

I have a sneaking suspicion the majority of Americans do
too.

Sheep? Evidently...

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

S. Barker wrote:
I remember no such thing. The hole in the ozone has been opening and
closing for centuries. And no refrigerant will EVER cool as well as R-12.

Propane/isobutane has identical properties, even being mineral oil
miscible, mix it 70/30, I believe. It's not like mineral oil filled R12
is not flammable. That and some of the "new" refrigerants are part
hydrocarbon.

If you want to toy with the mix a bit, you can beat R12 by 10 - 20%.

Jeff

I also have a supply of that, and add to my systems as needed.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Dennis M wrote:
In article , Jeff
wrote:

Dennis M wrote:
In article , (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article , S. Barker
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Apr 29, 11:11*pm, "John A. Weeks III" wrote:
In article ,

*Jeff wrote:
John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
*Jeff wrote:

[...]

You better learn up before you pannic chicken little. What do you do
with you tube flourescents, put them in the trash, so does everyone,
and the mercury? what do you do with old thermostats, well they have
10000 times as much as a bulb and what about some thermometers, 1000
times as much. Did you know a coal plant releases twice as much
mercury powering a 100w bulb over its life than a cfl has, and that is
airborn mercury, mr sky is falling. So if you area uses coal your
wastefull incandesant is poisoning you right now with twice the
mercury, and you are breathing it now.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Apr 30, 12:39*am, Jeff wrote:
John A. Weeks III wrote:

In article ,
*Jeff wrote:

John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
*Jeff wrote:

[...]

-john-- Hide quoted text -

The tuna truckload was then infested with flies that carried diseases
and killed mr weeks neighbors since the dirty mercury filled coal did
not.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Apr 29, 9:51*pm, "S. Barker" wrote:
I remember no such thing. *The hole in the ozone has been opening and
closing for centuries. *And no refrigerant will EVER cool as well as R-12.
I also have a supply of that, and add to my systems as needed.

"Jeff" wrote in message

Dennis M wrote:
In article , Jeff
wrote:

Dennis M wrote:
In article , (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article , S. Barker
wrote:

[...]

too.- Hide quoted text -

opening for centuries? and tell me how could we see it 100 years ago,
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Apr 30, 1:22*am, Jeff wrote:
krw wrote:
In article ,
says...
Dennis M wrote:
In article , Jeff
wrote:

Dennis M wrote:
In article , (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article , S. Barker wrote:

[...]

Sheep? *Evidently...- Hide quoted text -

Incandesants are dumb to use as a main light source, they produce only
maybe 3-5 % off that 100 watts consumed as light, so run 11, 100
watters this summer, and its the same as running a 1000w electric
heater, pay to cool your home, and pay to heat it at the same time,
Real Smart.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

where else would you put a battery? Unless you're talking about a car
battery, THEY go in the pile on the back forty until the price of lead comes
back up.

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hmmm
Very good. I guess you throw away used batteries into the trash can as
well? Your grand kids will appreciate it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article
,
ransley wrote:

The tuna truckload was then infested with flies that carried diseases
and killed mr weeks neighbors since the dirty mercury filled coal did
not.

So, how does tuna in cans become infested? Sea flies? That is the
problem with people who have knee-jerk responses to everything. They
knee-jerk without thinking, and they end up looking dumb, which is
probably where they started in the first place.

-john-

John A. Weeks III * * * * * 612-720-2854 * * * * *
Newave Communications * * * * * * * * * * * * http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 4/30/2008 8:34 AM S. Barker spake thus:

where else would you put a battery? Unless you're talking about a car
battery, THEY go in the pile on the back forty until the price of lead comes
back up.

I guess some folks are just more civilized than others; here in the East
Bay (San Francisco), we can (and some of us do) take our batteries, old
fluorescents, etc., to the recycling center where they segregate it and
dispose of it properly.

Of course, then there are the ****ing idiots who just leave TVs and
computer monitors on the STREETS of my neighborhood, where they
sometimes get broken. Can you say 10 pounds of LEAD????

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

S. Barker wrote:

I agree. Hell we used to play with big gobs of mercury in science
class. We're still here.

Mad as a hatter, tho.

Jeff wrote

What happens if a truckload of tuna veers off the road?

Until something better comes along, it's CFLs. Of all the hazards in life, they rank pretty low.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Apr 30, 12:20*pm, "John A. Weeks III" wrote:
In article
,

*ransley wrote:
The tuna truckload was then infested with flies that carried diseases
and killed mr weeks neighbors since the dirty mercury filled coal did
not.

So, how does tuna in cans become infested? *Sea flies? *That is the
problem with people who have knee-jerk responses to everything. *They
knee-jerk without thinking, and they end up looking dumb, which is
probably where they started in the first place.

-john-

John A. Weeks III * * * * * 612-720-2854 * * * * *
Newave Communications * * * * * * * * * * * *http://www.johnweeks.com

who said canned tuna. HD has a Nine year warranty on cfls, im not
throwin my 2$ bulbs away, im goin back for freebies when I need them
and let them dispose of them, as they do for free with batteries. So
beath well today, knowing your coal plant is giving you Mercury.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article a38ebf40-a884-4951-86a5-be154bb130bb@
56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com, says...
On Apr 29, 11:11*pm, "John A. Weeks III" wrote:
In article ,

*Jeff wrote:
John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
*Jeff wrote:

[...]

What do I do with a mercury thermometer? When I find one (haven't
seen one for *years*, I take it to the nice man in the NBC suit.
You know, the same guy you're *supposed* to take fluorescents to.

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Apr 30, 4:30*pm, krw wrote:
In article a38ebf40-a884-4951-86a5-be154bb130bb@
56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com, says...

On Apr 29, 11:11*pm, "John A. Weeks III" wrote:
In article ,

*Jeff wrote:
John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
*Jeff wrote:

[...]

Keith- Hide quoted text -

It is very likely the thermometer you use to see if you have a fever
has mercury is it.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article m, David
Nebenzahl wrote:

On 4/30/2008 8:34 AM S. Barker spake thus:

where else would you put a battery? Unless you're talking about a car
battery, THEY go in the pile on the back forty until the price of lead comes
back up.

I guess some folks are just more civilized than others; here in the East
Bay (San Francisco), we can (and some of us do) take our batteries, old
fluorescents, etc., to the recycling center where they segregate it and
dispose of it properly.

Of course, then there are the ****ing idiots who just leave TVs and
computer monitors on the STREETS of my neighborhood, where they
sometimes get broken. Can you say 10 pounds of LEAD????

The lead in those is now nearly all in the glass - where it does a good
job of staying even if the glass gets broken up, even if someone or
something should swallow the pieces.

It is good to recycle that where it is recyclable anyway - landfill
space is expensive. There is a much smaller amount of lead in the circuit
boards - probly a fraction of an ounce now that we have tiny SMT
components - but it's good to recycle those where you can anyway.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

ransley wrote:
On Apr 30, 4:30 pm, krw wrote:
In article a38ebf40-a884-4951-86a5-be154bb130bb@
56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com, says...

On Apr 29, 11:11 pm, "John A. Weeks III" wrote:
In article ,

Jeff wrote:
John A. Weeks III wrote:

================================================== ====================-

You better learn up before you pannic chicken little. What do you do
with you tube flourescents, put them in the trash, so does everyone,
and the mercury? what do you do with old thermostats, well they have
10000 times as much as a bulb and what about some thermometers, 1000
times as much. Did you know a coal plant releases twice as much
mercury powering a 100w bulb over its life than a cfl has, and that
is airborn mercury, mr sky is falling. So if you area uses coal your
wastefull incandesant is poisoning you right now with twice the
mercury, and you are breathing it now.

What do I do with a mercury thermometer? When I find one (haven't
seen one for *years*, I take it to the nice man in the NBC suit.
You know, the same guy you're *supposed* to take fluorescents to.

It is very likely the thermometer you use to see if you have a fever has mercury is it.

Nope, much more likely to have alcohol in it now if it isnt digital.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article 6410aac8-803a-4a5c-9dc0-
,
says...
On Apr 30, 4:30*pm, krw wrote:
In article a38ebf40-a884-4951-86a5-be154bb130bb@
56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com, says...

On Apr 29, 11:11*pm, "John A. Weeks III" wrote:
In article ,

*Jeff wrote:
John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
*Jeff wrote:

[...]

Are you *really* that ignorant? ...or are you just an incompetent
troll?

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article ,
says...
krw wrote:
In article ,
says...
Dennis M wrote:
In article , Jeff
wrote:

Dennis M wrote:
In article ,
(Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article , S. Barker wrote:

[...]

Primarily because I can't stand the light and they're too slow to
turn on where I don't care about the light.

I'm not about
to replace all my fixtures either.

Why would you have to?

CFLs aren't for many fixtures. They do get hot and the electronics
doesn't like it. You have a lot to learn, my boy.

A case of bulbs here, and a case
there...

I'd still like to use R12, but the switchover did close the ozone
hole. Remember that?

Oh, good grief!

I suppose you are still questioning evolution? And global warming?

Don't be an ass.

Sometimes you have to do something because it has a far greater benefit.

Someimes you just have to be a good little sheep, eh Komrad?

Look whose calling who a sheep?

You *are* a perfect example of a sheep, who likes it when the man
from Washington bends you over. I bet you really love those 1.6gal
toilets. You'd have thought that congress would have thought up
something larger, given their needs.

Sometimes it pays not to be a sheep and blindly believe all that horse
manure W has been dishing out for the last 7 years. I'd say lemming is a
more appropriate term.

Don't be an idiot. I know it's hard work to think, but try it
anyway.

The tungsten light bulb has been around almost 100 years.

The planet has been around a tad longer than that and is still
useful.

There's
nothing else we use that comes anywhere near being as inefficient.

Now, don't add lies to your list of sins, junior.

The
common light bulb rings in at about 5%. It doesn't have great color
rendition unless corrected in which case it has a shorter life or is
even less efficient, it runs up the heat load in summer, it has a
terrible lifespan... The only real advantage it has is that it is cheap.
But not cheap when you consider the lifespan or the energy it uses.

Tungsten lights have far better color rendition than most CFLs.
Halogens (which I use almost exclusively), even better.

But hey, if you guys love your 100 year old design 100 Watt bulbs. I
don't happen to have your emotional attachment.

If that's your best argument, hang up your spurs, kid.

Jeff

Jeff

I have a sneaking suspicion the majority of Americans do
too.

Sheep? Evidently...

obviously

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Apr 30, 4:30*pm, krw wrote:
In article a38ebf40-a884-4951-86a5-be154bb130bb@
56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com, says...

On Apr 29, 11:11*pm, "John A. Weeks III" wrote:
In article ,

*Jeff wrote:
John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
*Jeff wrote:

[...]

You better read up, there is alot you dont know, did you ever hear of
Google.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Apr 30, 5:32*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Apr 30, 4:30 pm, krw wrote:
In article a38ebf40-a884-4951-86a5-be154bb130bb@
56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com, says...

On Apr 29, 11:11 pm, "John A. Weeks III" wrote:
In article ,

Jeff wrote:
John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

[...]

Nope, much more likely to have alcohol in it now if it isnt digital.- Hide quoted text -

I have them that are old, very old and they have mercury.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

ransley wrote:
On Apr 30, 4:30 pm, krw wrote:
In article a38ebf40-a884-4951-86a5-be154bb130bb@
56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com, says...

On Apr 29, 11:11 pm, "John A. Weeks III"
wrote:
In article ,

Jeff wrote:
John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
Jeff wrote:

[...]

Irrelevant to your claim about what others are likely to have.

Its rather unlikely that many have thermometers with mercury in them anymore.