Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Incandescent that avoids upcoming ban

In article m, David
Nebenzahl wrote:

On 4/30/2008 8:34 AM S. Barker spake thus:

where else would you put a battery? Unless you're talking about a car
battery, THEY go in the pile on the back forty until the price of lead comes
back up.

I guess some folks are just more civilized than others; here in the East
Bay (San Francisco), we can (and some of us do) take our batteries, old
fluorescents, etc., to the recycling center where they segregate it and
dispose of it properly.

Of course, then there are the ****ing idiots who just leave TVs and
computer monitors on the STREETS of my neighborhood, where they
sometimes get broken. Can you say 10 pounds of LEAD????

The lead in those is now nearly all in the glass - where it does a good
job of staying even if the glass gets broken up, even if someone or
something should swallow the pieces.

It is good to recycle that where it is recyclable anyway - landfill
space is expensive. There is a much smaller amount of lead in the circuit
boards - probly a fraction of an ounce now that we have tiny SMT
components - but it's good to recycle those where you can anyway.

- Don Klipstein )