Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness
J[_5_] J[_5_] is offline

Default What the gubamint didn't tell you about digital converters

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:51:09 -0400, Michael Black
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, J wrote:

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:22:05 -0500, Alric Knebel
wrote:

I know this thread is about converters, but I have to say, I can't
believe anybody is still using VCRs

A lot of us electronically-clueless elderly people on fixed incomes
are still using VCRs.

Why not simply "electronically-clueless"?

Everyone wants to portray older people as inept, but that's just seeing
them as they are now. Start subtracting from their age, and you'll
find people who were young and capable.

I saw an add for a program to help "seniors" learn to use the internet,
and the lower age limit was 55. But subtract 30 and you have a 25 year
old in 1978 when small computers were well on their way. It would take
quite the person to live thirty years while ignoring computers, and
then suddenly want to learn at 55 or older.

I'll be fifty next year. I was ten when I wanted a computer, and they
didn't even exist in anything smaller than a minicomputer (and way too
expensive) at the time.

The first vcr I ever saw was when a friend bought his first one in the
fall of 1980, 28 years ago. That's a long time to adapt.

No, most of this "the elderly are inept" comes from other people.

Michael

I wrote disability regulations and they didn't put a PC into our
dept.'s cubicles until 1991 (age 47). They were used mostly by us for
word processing because no one wanted to be a typist or secretary
anymore. No internet connection at work even at the time of early
retirement in 1997 (53).

First home PC in 1998. I was clueless then and am clueless today.

There are many people in my age group who are in the same boat.

Now, back to the converter box and VCR and see what shakes.