Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness
Cindy Hamilton Cindy Hamilton is offline

Default What the gubamint didn't tell you about digital converters

On Apr 30, 10:22*am, Alric Knebel wrote:

I know this thread is about converters, but I have to say, I can't
believe anybody is still using VCRs. *I know some old recorded programs
are fun to archive, with the commercial breaks and all intact, and the
watching a broadcast show from ten years ago is like time traveling.
What I did was transfer a couple of these things over to DVD. *I can't
see this affection for VHS.

And it should be noted that those tapes will eventually lose their
image. *Tapes will glitch up, even if you don't watch them.

I use my VCR to tape stuff to watch later. It's cheap, I already have
the
stuff, and the technology is adequate to my purpose. Once I've
watched
the show, I reuse the tape for something else. Amusing though Dirty
Jobs is, I can't see archiving them for posterity.

That said, when my VCR dies I'll probably get a digital recorder of
some
sort, just so I don't get "the look" from the kid at Best Buy.

Cindy Hamilton