Posted to alt.home.repair
chale4 chale4 is offline

Default claw foot tub drain plumbing question

Hello, just joined this excellent group.

I have a small older (1926) rental house with a rough but functional
basement. The basement floor is concrete. There is a circular drain
in the floor in the existing 1/2 bathroom, located about 2' away from
the basement wall, and from the main vertical waste line for the whole
house which is located up against that wall. I'm pretty certain that
this floor drain is connected to the main waste line under the
concrete via a sanitary tee or similar fitting (there are no issues at
all with odor or anything, at any rate).

We want to install a claw foot tub in this bathroom; fits nicely in
the available space, no tile work to hassle with, etc., so seems like
a pretty good way to go in this old basement.

My question is this: is it sensible, legal, practical to basically
modify this floor drain's hardware and plumb the tub's drain pipe to
this floor drain? It's entirely possible to position the tub such
that its drain pipe is perfectly centered on the existing floor drain,
no problem. I had one guy come by to have a look at it, and he had
some fuzzy but concerning comments about how he thought some concrete
jack-hammering and cutting and such would be necessary...oh man! I
don't understand why it would necessarily need to be that heavily
modified...

I'd note that there is at least one other floor drain in the basement
(maybe a couple), so I'm not necessarily all that averse to "losing"
this one floor drain in the bathroom. Or, I could envision a "custom"
piece of hardware that both permitted tub draining, and floor
draining, simultaneously. I've got a home machine shop and can make
such things, if they're functional and sensible...

Thanks much for your time thinking about this deal!
Charley Hale
Lafayette CO