Posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.peeves,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.bitterness
Jack Jack is offline

Default What the gubamint didn't tell you about digital converters

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:53:35 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Jim wrote:
Yeah, if you're one of the 15% who still have an antenna and analog
TV, it works great. But God forbid you should have a VCR or DVD
recorder that was made prior to 3/07. Won't work.

SOLUTION #1: Get a new DVD recorder or DVD recorder/VHS combo that
has a digital tuner.

SOLUTION #2: Wait until July and get a special digital converter that
is not eligible for the govt. rebate.

SOLUTION #3: Subscribe to cable, if it's available in your area, or a
satellite dish.

RESULT: More old electronic junk thrown into the landfill and more
expense for the consumer, many of whom are elderly and on fixed
incomes, or else they wouldn't still be using antennas.

Thank you, Big Brother.

Oh, stuff and nonsense. VCR mostly could care less what feeds signal to
it. Only thing I have EVER seen that didn't work right was
daisy-chaining a DVD player and a VCR, for an old TV with single inputs.
It came up in black and white, due to to copy-protect on the DVD.

Just for laughs, 2 minutes ago I hooked a cable from my converter box to
the 'line2' inputs on my 5-year old Sony VCR- it worked and recorded
just fine and played back just fine. Were you using an RF connection, or
video cables? If RF, did you have the converter and VCR set on the same
channel? (Usually a toggle between 3 and 4)

I have satt, but it goes out whenever the wind blows the trees, so I
also keep a roof antenna. I got the converter as a backup, since my TVs
work fine, and I can't bear the thought of junking working equipment if
I don't have to. I got the converters now, instead of next year, because
of the coupons. And if Dish raises their rates again, my satt may just
be going bye-bye.

Sorry, but my mileage varied.

I hooked up the antenna to the converter and the coax cable form the
converter to the VCR as the instructions dictated, set the channel to
3 as directed, but no go.

Hell, google the Internet. You'll learn that you need a VCR with a
ATSC tuner within for it to work.