Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Function of component in flash tube trigger circuit?

"N_Cook" writes:

I've now tried 2 xenon beacon tubes in series and it works every time on
full or reduced settings. Also works every time with the piezo gaslighter
when iys ground plate is connected to the flash unit ground

I was always told that the clap of thunder was due to air refilling the gap
after being punched through by the lightening plasma arc.
That cannot be the reason for the pop when such xenon tubes fire as there is
no air inside them , why the pop?

There's rather dramatic shock wave inside when the lamp fires. This
is transmitted via the walls of the tube to the air outside. Keep in
mind that the pressure in these is a significant fraction of 1 atm, not
like a neon sign or HeNe laser!

What sort of power coming out as light in both cases.
Unknown original tube of 10mm diameter , 200 mm long
2 beacon tubes 6mm diameter, 140mm combined length

Supply is from 2 seriesed 1000uF capacitors with 300V on each
The beacon tubes are rated for 250V min , 500V maximum, nominal 400V
maximum energy input per flash: 45W /second, maximum flash rate at maximum
input power: 100/min

There is strike defeat, while recovering, sub-circuit and recovery time is
about 1/3 sec, don't know what it is with the original tube.

Is there a question buried here somewhere?