Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default manual brad nail gun?

on 4/29/2008 12:00 PM peter said the following:
I have about 20 feet of wall trims I need to attach to the wall. Buying an
air compressor and an air nailer seems overkill. At first I consider an
electric brad nailer. They receive so-so reviews; the best one requires the
operator to firmly hold down the nailer so the nailing momentum is not lost
to recoil.

Then there are cordless nailer which seems to have more power than the
corded one (e.g. Dewalt DC608K). They can shoot 2 inch nails. That is very
strange since normally a corded tool should have more power than a cordless
one. Anyway, it cost near $300 so it is also overkill. Besides, I hate to
stock yet another kind of rechargeable battery at home.

Now I'm wondering if there are hand operated brad nailer that would shoot 1
1/4 brad nail into hard wood? I know there are stapler that shoots both
staples and brad nails; those usually do not have enough power.

What I'm thinking is something that requires a separate cocking/windup and a
trigger pull to shoot the nail just like an air gun. A manual-powered air
gun can pack a lot of power, so there is no reason why a powerful brad
nailer cannot be made this way. But I can't seem to find such thing. Any
ideas?

I think you would need something that shot nails longer than 1-1/4 inch.
You have to go through the molding (1/2"?) plus the sheetrock (1/2"?)
which leaves 1/4 inch to go into the stud or base plate. I have never
seen a pump action nail gun. Even if such an animal, it would suspect
that it would take longer to pump the gun up than to use a regular
hammer and nailset.
If you don't need a construction grade heavy duty tool, you can probably
pick up both a finish nailer and compressor for less than the cost of
either item alone from a big box store.
Harbor Freight nailers and compressors.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...325&pricetype=
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...ssor&Submit=Go