Posted to alt.home.repair

Default manual brad nail gun?

I have about 20 feet of wall trims I need to attach to the wall. Buying an
air compressor and an air nailer seems overkill. At first I consider an
electric brad nailer. They receive so-so reviews; the best one requires the
operator to firmly hold down the nailer so the nailing momentum is not lost
to recoil.

Then there are cordless nailer which seems to have more power than the
corded one (e.g. Dewalt DC608K). They can shoot 2 inch nails. That is very
strange since normally a corded tool should have more power than a cordless
one. Anyway, it cost near $300 so it is also overkill. Besides, I hate to
stock yet another kind of rechargeable battery at home.

Now I'm wondering if there are hand operated brad nailer that would shoot 1
1/4 brad nail into hard wood? I know there are stapler that shoots both
staples and brad nails; those usually do not have enough power.

What I'm thinking is something that requires a separate cocking/windup and a
trigger pull to shoot the nail just like an air gun. A manual-powered air
gun can pack a lot of power, so there is no reason why a powerful brad
nailer cannot be made this way. But I can't seem to find such thing. Any
ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article kCHRj.1132$Bd1.1122@trndny09, "peter"
wrote:

[...]

I seem to remember a hand-held device for driving nails. No electricity
or air required. Works on tiny brads and sixteen penny nails.
Inexpensive and versatile. Maybe someone else here can remember what
they're called and suggest a retail outlet where you might obtain one.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

On Apr 29, 12:00*pm, "peter" wrote:
[...]

How about a hammer? Pound the nail with the hammer, set the nails
below the surface with a nail set. Fill the holes. I do it all the
time.

Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair

"peter" wrote in news:kCHRj.1132$Bd1.1122@trndny09:

[...]

why not RENT a nailer?
although I've seen Porter-Cable compressor/nailer packages for ~$200,and
then you would have a portable compressor for other jobs around the
home;inflating tires,spray painting.....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 4/29/2008 12:00 PM peter said the following:
[...]

I think you would need something that shot nails longer than 1-1/4 inch.
You have to go through the molding (1/2"?) plus the sheetrock (1/2"?)
which leaves 1/4 inch to go into the stud or base plate. I have never
seen a pump action nail gun. Even if such an animal, it would suspect
that it would take longer to pump the gun up than to use a regular
hammer and nailset.
If you don't need a construction grade heavy duty tool, you can probably
pick up both a finish nailer and compressor for less than the cost of
either item alone from a big box store.
Harbor Freight nailers and compressors.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...325&pricetype=
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...ssor&Submit=Go

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

peter wrote:
I have about 20 feet of wall trims I need to attach to the wall. ...
Now I'm wondering if there are hand operated brad nailer that would shoot 1
1/4 brad nail into hard wood? ...

For no more than that if you don't want a compressor and finish nailer
(and I agree the investment is way overkill for the size of job if you
don't intend to do anything else), you can easily drill pilot holes if
the moulding is hard enough or tends to split badly enough you can't
hand nail it easily. After all, there were houses built entirely long
before _any_ power tools...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
I seem to remember a hand-held device for driving nails. No electricity
or air required. Works on tiny brads and sixteen penny nails.
Inexpensive and versatile. Maybe someone else here can remember what
they're called and suggest a retail outlet where you might obtain one.

Is this something new? Seems to me, a cordless device like that would be
in demand by every homeowner and tradesman. Cheap to operate, no
accessories. If you come up with the name let me know.

Next thing they dream up may be a tool for driving screws with no fuel.
Nah, that'd be too complex.

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
[...]

Or get the nailer ($20.00) and an air tank ($23.00). Refill the tank at the
gas station.

Don't know how many trips to the station, but it should work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message
I seem to remember a hand-held device for driving nails. No
electricity or air required. Works on tiny brads and sixteen penny
nails. Inexpensive and versatile. Maybe someone else here can
remember what they're called and suggest a retail outlet where you
might obtain one.

Is this something new? Seems to me, a cordless device like that
would be in demand by every homeowner and tradesman. Cheap to
operate, no accessories. If you come up with the name let me know.

Next thing they dream up may be a tool for driving screws with no
fuel. Nah, that'd be too complex.

Yeah, reminds me of the cartoon where a man with a long beard holding a bit
of paper approaches Dilbert and says: "At last, a business plan that meets
everyone's goals. If only there were someway to easily make many copies of
this one document..."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 12:17 pm, Smitty Two wrote:

I seem to remember a hand-held device for driving nails. No electricity
or air required. Works on tiny brads and sixteen penny nails.
Inexpensive and versatile. Maybe someone else here can remember what
they're called and suggest a retail outlet where you might obtain one.

I think you're remembering an episode of the original Star Trek.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah. They are built around a piece of wood with a metal thing at the end?
I kind of recall some have a device for removing nails too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote in
:

[...]

spray painting?

Those PC pancake size/types don't have near enough volume for spray
painting I hear pretty much across the board.

But yea, even a PC pancake compressor is something you'll never regret
you got...that is until you want a bigger compressor :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

As mentioned by others, ughhhh hammer and a nail set? You're only talking
20 ft! WTF?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:32:17 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

-snip-
Or get the nailer ($20.00) and an air tank ($23.00). Refill the tank at the
gas station.

Don't know how many trips to the station, but it should work.

That's a great idea. I'm betting one trip with a 10 gallon will shoot
several hundred nails. [I might just try it today for giggles.]

I bought my compressor first- but ended up with a tank, too, so the
money spent on the tank is not money wasted.

OP- also pick up a $8 'air accessory kit'. You'll be back for a
compressor in a short time.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:32:17 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

-snip-
Or get the nailer ($20.00) and an air tank ($23.00). Refill the tank
at the gas station.

many gas stations no longer have a high pressure air compressor,just one
suitable for inflating auto tires,and many charge for air.
you need 50-60 PSI at least for a nailer,I believe.

Don't know how many trips to the station, but it should work.

That's a great idea. I'm betting one trip with a 10 gallon will shoot
several hundred nails. [I might just try it today for giggles.]

I bought my compressor first- but ended up with a tank, too, so the
money spent on the tank is not money wasted.

OP- also pick up a $8 'air accessory kit'. You'll be back for a
compressor in a short time.

Jim

~$200 would get you a Porter-Cable portable compressor and brad nailer
combo kit,with hose. then you can use it for other jobs.

Or RENT one.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik