Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default manual brad nail gun?

"peter" wrote in news:kCHRj.1132$Bd1.1122@trndny09:

I have about 20 feet of wall trims I need to attach to the wall.
Buying an air compressor and an air nailer seems overkill. At first I
consider an electric brad nailer. They receive so-so reviews; the best
one requires the operator to firmly hold down the nailer so the
nailing momentum is not lost to recoil.

Then there are cordless nailer which seems to have more power than the
corded one (e.g. Dewalt DC608K). They can shoot 2 inch nails. That is
very strange since normally a corded tool should have more power than
a cordless one. Anyway, it cost near $300 so it is also overkill.
Besides, I hate to stock yet another kind of rechargeable battery at
home.

Now I'm wondering if there are hand operated brad nailer that would
shoot 1 1/4 brad nail into hard wood? I know there are stapler that
shoots both staples and brad nails; those usually do not have enough
power.

What I'm thinking is something that requires a separate cocking/windup
and a trigger pull to shoot the nail just like an air gun. A
manual-powered air gun can pack a lot of power, so there is no reason
why a powerful brad nailer cannot be made this way. But I can't seem
to find such thing. Any ideas?

why not RENT a nailer?
although I've seen Porter-Cable compressor/nailer packages for ~$200,and
then you would have a portable compressor for other jobs around the
home;inflating tires,spray painting.....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik