Posted to alt.energy.homepower,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics.electromag
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:29:35 -0400, "JANA" wrote:

If you are in North America, and have 120 VAC to the outlets, what you
call 220 or 230 VAC in your home is actually 208 VAC, unless you
installed some kind of transformer to compensate.

Nope. The NA standard residential voltage is 120/240 single phase. 120/208
only happens when the single phase power is derived from a 3 phase
wye-connected transformer bank. The only place I've heard of that happening
on a regular basis is in high-rise apartments.

For smaller buildings, the split delta configuration is more common. This
supplies 120/240 single phase and 240 three phase from one 3-transformer bank.
This is also sometimes known as the "wild leg" configuration because the leg
not associated with the single phase supply has a odd voltage to
neutral/ground. Something like 214 volts if my memory holds.

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com