Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Aligning hinges on box lid, or nearly anything else...

"John Santos" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...

"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com
wrote in message news:PxFRj.2804$uS1.1332@trndny05...

Sorry for this, but this has always mystified me.

Given a small box that I can put a lid on with either a piano hinge or
two
smaller hinges, how on earth do I align it so that it closes perfectly?

I envision using some kind of double sided tape to attach the hinges
until
by experimentation it closes right, but I am not quite sure what else
do.

Thanks!

I attach the hinges to the lid first and put a small piece of double
stick
tape on the entire surface that will come in contact with the box. Set
the
lid on the box exactly where you want it to fit and the apply pressure
over
the hinges.

It seems to me that if the two hinges aren't both attached to the lid
such that the hinge pins are lined up (in 3 dimensions, which means 6
degrees of freedom, though the plane of the surface you are mounting
the hinges on would remove one of those), you'll still have problems.

Hinges typically have the barrel that you can align with the back edge of
the lid. That will keep the hinge pins on the same line.