Posted to rec.woodworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Aligning hinges on box lid, or nearly anything else...

I just had to do the same thing in a 5" X 7" X 7" high steel chest. I
did pretty much what the other poster did, but being more "chicken" than
he is, I drilled the holes undersize, so just in case I had it a tiny
bit off, I could file out the holes to recenter them at the next bigger
screw size. The screws will all be replaced by rivets when I'm done
fitting.
You can see, though, that in my case, I am drilling all the way
through, whereas you may be attaching with woood screws.

Pete Stanaitis

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Sorry for this, but this has always mystified me.

Given a small box that I can put a lid on with either a piano hinge or two
smaller hinges, how on earth do I align it so that it closes perfectly?

I envision using some kind of double sided tape to attach the hinges until
by experimentation it closes right, but I am not quite sure what else to do.

Thanks!