Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Fumigating Crawlspace

Red Green wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
t:

Red Green wrote:

Gotta do some work in crawlspace. Lotsa critters naturally live there
- some creepy, some dirty nasty, some poisonous (Recluses & Widows
popular here).

It would be nice if I could bomb the crawlspace like with those ones
they have for inside the house where you set and vacate for a few
hours. Trouble with those is they spray high and I believe must be
vertical to empty.

Of course I would not do anything Darwin like go under house and try
and set and back out the 25-30 ft over pipes and ductwork. My thought
is fortunately at the far end is a dryer vent hole in the floor. I
could reach down from in the house and set a couple off. At the near
end (near to crawlspace entrance) I could discharge a couple there.

OK, beat me up here on this not thought through very much scenario.

Duct tape is your friend. Use duct tape to secure the bug bomb on the
end of a long length of PVC pipe so you can activate it and quickly
send it off into the far reaches of the crawlspace.

Appreciate the response Pete. Like I said, the cans have to be vertical
to empty I believe. No matter how I get it in there, if I do that the
spray shoots up (maybe 24") to the subfloor and just drips in a puddle
back in the dirt instead of fogging the airspace. But if a 45 deg tilt
empties 75% of it as a mist/fog then fine but I really don't know.

At a distance like 24" most of the fog should stay airborne and drift.
Since it's a fogger nozzle and not a spray one, it's not going to hit
the subfloor much. Try a regular spray bottle of glass cleaner as an
example and see how much will hit a ceiling 24" away. If you can
identify the position of the pickup tube in the can (usually marked with
a dot on a paint can) and keep that point down, you can get well over 45
degrees and still get full dispensing.