Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics.electromag
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

wrote in message
In alt.engineering.electrical Arfa Daily wrote:

| "jakdedert" wrote in message
| . ..
| Jamie wrote:
| hr(bob) wrote:
|
| On Apr 26, 6:14 pm, Jamie
| t wrote:
|
| Deodiaus wrote:
|
| I have a broken pool motor [magnetek y56y] which will cost a bundle
| fix
| or repair.
| While doing a search on the web, I found the same model (really
cheap)
| but
| wired for 280V, instead of the 230 V load that my wiring is
supplies.
| Now, I was thinking of buying the cheap 280V model and installing
it
| instead. Aside from rotating at a different speed and
| maybe some power inefficiencies, are there any other drawbacks of
| using the 280V model
| instead?
|
| are you sure it isn't 208 ?
|
| --http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
|

| I'd be suspicious that the 280V was a misreading somehow of 230V.
| that sounds more plausible.
|
| I'm a little confused about a 230 volt circuit. In what part of the
world
| does the utility supply 230v?
|
| jak
|
| In theory, it's 230 on a single phase - neutral circuit here in the UK
now,
| but in practice, it's actually nearer the previously accepted 240v for
the
| most part ...

Is the grounded conductor in a 2-wire 230/240 volt system fed to each home
referred to as "neutral" even in UK?

One common neutral that is grounded back at the nearest transformer
substation, and three phases, fed singly to homes in a reasonably 'balanced'
way (loading-wise). So one side of the street may be fed from one phase, and
the other side of the street from a different phase, then further up the
street, some more houses connected to the remaining phase and so on. Each
house also has a protective ground connection. Generally, no 'pole pigs'
except in rural areas. For the most part, each collection of several hundred
houses, are connected underground to a small building containing 3 phase
transformers. I think that the input to these stations is around 11kV, also
underground. The 'hot' side of the supply is usually known as "live" in the
UK, but is sometimes also known as "phase".

I'm not an electrical engineer, but that's pretty much the basis of the UK
domestic distribution system. Commercial premises usually have a full three
phase plus neutral connection to the network.

Arfa