Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.woodworking

Default wood glue, waterproof and cheap

"johngood_____" wrote in message
I want a * low priced* ' waterproof ' glue to glue some wood together out
in the garden. Thats in all weathers, (London u.k. which means: rainy).

I went to Wickes and bought a tub of white PVA ' Waterproof ' glue.
Gluing some chopsticks together overnight and then soaking them in water
for an hour next morning, the glue lost all strength in adhesion. Have I
been robbed, and that could not really be called waterproof or am I asking
for too much?

Any suggestions on a *low priced* waterproof glue please? Years ago in
the woodworking class at school we used to have pots of glue (made I think
from horses hooves or something similar) that we used to heat over boiling
water to get it to be soft enough to use.

Is it still possible to get this type of glue? It must have been cheap
for our school to use it, but I have no idea if it's waterproof of not.
Any suggestions please ? Thanks.

If you read the directions on "waterproof" glues, most are not for
immersion. Use an epoxy. There are no cheap ones, but cheap glue is very
expensive when it does not work. In the US, Titebond III is one of the
best regular glues, but I'm not sure if it is readily available in the UK. .