Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home
Invisible Man Invisible Man is offline

Default strong tissue blocking sewer pipes

David Combs wrote:
In article ,
Robert Neville wrote:
Normally toilet tissue will completely break apart after being in
water for a short period of time. But these so called 'moist
toilet tissues' now for sale in some supermarkets do not dissolve
at all. Will the sewerage system in north London U.K., deal with these
Strong type moist tissues o.k., or is there likely to be trouble
with blocked pipes, etc?
Next turd passing pushes them out of the way like a battering ram.
You'd be so lucky - or similar lyrics!

I suspect once they hit the main collector line, it's large enough that it would
cause no more problem than all the other non-water soluble stuff that gets
flushed.

I had to auger out the smaller line between the house and the street once. Ended
up being plugged because the SO was using these and they ended up catching on a
burr inside.

Are these the circular, diameter maybe 3 inches, "Tucks", or
something larger? How much larger?

I guess if these things really do catch on burrs, etc, then maybe
a ziploc bag nearby to put them (used) in *might* be worth
a try? They come already-wet (witch hazel, I was once told),
and maybe wouldn't stink so much if the bag were then "zipped"
shut (after most air compressed out, of course)?

I took a trip to Guatemala once, and down there you're
told to put even toilet paper in the waste-basket -- NOT
to flush down the toilet (sewer etc can't handle it?).

David

Experienced the same in Turkey and Cyprus. Different cultures, different
sewage system expectations.