Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Electricital question

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 18:03:10 -0800, "SteveB"
toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote:

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:38:17 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

I want to run a stun gun arc from the box about 25 feet. What would be
the
best wire to use? I want to use a two wire combo that is within one
sheath,
like a light cord. For that high voltage, should I use something as
common
as regular wire, or should I use solid copper wire.

I got my gopher blaster working, and having the button anywhere close to
the
burrow opening is not a good thing. I had two blasts that were louder
than
a .357 Magnum.

Put the stun gun (step-up inverter) right near the gopher hole
opening - then you can run the 9V DC to the stun gun with common
12-AWG landscape lighting cable - heavy duty zip cord.

The HV side is hard to run long distances. They do make single
conductor 14 and 16 AWG solid wire with 5KV and 10KV insulation for
use with neon signs, but it isn't cheap.

Some auto parts stores still have bulk solid core (usually stranded)
sparkplug wire, but good parts stores are an endangered species.
Resistor wire is worthless for your purposes, it has a graphite string
center conductor.

-- Bruce --

For flexibility purposes, I want to run a two conductor through a larger
diameter hose that will be taking the gas down the hole. Hence, there will
have to be two wires running down there. The coax and speaker wire sound
plausible, as I have both.

One thing I am learning about this "thing" is that it deserves respect. It
can hurt ya.

Steve

There is no way I would run stungun voltage inside the gas hose short
of enclosing it in grounded metal tubing. Unintended sparking inside
the gas line could get too exciting for my timid self, though I don't
mind the blast from a .357 magnum a bit as long as it's on my side.
YMMV.