Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Electricital question

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:05:21 -0700, "William Noble"
wrote:

if you run two pieces of coax - maybe RG 58? you will get less capacitive
loss but still get the good insulation - alternatively buy a roll of solid
core ignition wire.

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Apr 26, 12:40 pm, Pete Keillor wrote:
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:38:17 -0800, "SteveB"

wrote:
I want to run a stun gun arc from the box about 25 feet. What would be
the
best wire to use? I want to use a two wire combo that is within one
sheath,
like a light cord. For that high voltage, should I use something as
common
as regular wire, or should I use solid copper wire.

Steve

Coax?

Figure on 30pF of capacitance per foot for coax. It will seriously
reduce AC voltage although with DC you'll get even more spark.

I'm quite sure that stun guns deliver AC, not DC. Frequency would be
in the tens of KHz, nowhere near high enough for skin effect to
operate like it does with TIG HF.

They very probably operate at or quite near the self-resonant
frequency of the secondary, so loading the sec with any significant
capacitance will reduce frequency and peak voltage significantly.