Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outdoor Weatherproof Receptacles - Curiosity

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 05:11:48p, aemeijers told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 26 Apr 2008 04:21:56p, Tony Hwang told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

This is a question of curiosity more than anything, as I don't plan to
make changes to the way I have installed outdoor outlets.

In several homes, including the present one where I am currently
installing outdoor outlets, this has been my method...

At a point opposite on the inside of the house where a receptable
already exists, I drill a hole in the outside wall (cedar), and from
the inside, push through a length of exterior grade "romex" (the same
guage as the interior wiring) through an existing self-clamping

opening
in the interior junction box to the outside and through the hole. I
connect the inside wires to the existing receptacle.

On the outside, I seal the hole around the romex with silicone

sealant,
and mount an exterior weatherproof box (also sealed behind it with
silicone swealant. After the sealant has cured, I connect a GFCI
receptacle to the romex and mount it in the box. I then attach an
"always in use" hooded cover plate to complete the installation.

While I know this has proven to be safe over all the years I've used
this technique, I wonder whether it is really according to code, and

if
not, what exactly would the code require instead.

BTW, I currently live in Mesa, AZ, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any responses.

Hi,
And better be on GFCI circuit.

The receptacle I install in the box is GFCI. I need more than that?

I think he is saying it would be better to put the GFCI in the inside
box you have open. That way, if rain does happen to leak into the wire
through the wall and shorts it out, the GFCI should trip. With the GFCI
in the outside box, that short run that is near the weather is not
protected. In general, the GFCI should be on the upstream end of any
protected circuit.

--
aem sends...

I understand your logic, and did that in the first house where I installed
exteriors. However, considering the overall construction, the problem you
describe is very unlikely to occur. Also, it's quite inconvenient if
something outdoor trips the GFCI inside and whatever is using the outlet on
the inside also goes out.

If you read Tony's subsequent post, I don't think mounting it inside is
what he meant.

Thanks for your comments, however.

--
Wayne Boatwright