Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.energy,misc.consumers,sci.agriculture
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Food shortage ethanol follies, I've planted a food garden.

HeyBub wrote
Rod Speed wrote

"Mr. Sen is famous for his assertion that famines do not occur in
democracies. "No famine has ever taken place in the history of the
world in a functioning democracy," he wrote in 'Democracy as Freedom'."

He's just plain wrong.

For this sort of thinking, Amartya Kumar Sen was awarded the 1998 Nobel Prize in Economics.

Nope, not for that steaming turd he wasnt.

Uh, yes. For exactly that:

Nope, nothing like that particular steaming turd. He got his Nobel prize
for MATHEMATICAL ECONOMICS, and that particular steaming
turd of his has NOTHING to do with MATHEMATICAL economics.

"Amartya Kumar Sen is an economist best known for his work on famine,
Human development theory, welfare economics, and the underlying
causes of poverty and hunger. When the world was talking of free
market economy, Prof. Sen emphasised the need for giving a human face
to development. Amartya Sen is one of those few economists who talk
of political economy of hunger.

Irrelevant to what he got the Nobel Prize for.

He received the ... Noble prize for economics... for his work in mathematical economics in 1998."

And that steaming turd at the top has nothing to do with MATHEMATICAL economics.

If you have an alternative to the assertion, please share it with us.

Just did.

Okay, show us a famine that has ever taken place in the history of the world in a functioning democracy.

Just did, they had some in ancient times in Greece etc.

There were some in India after independance too.

And the Irish Potato Famine etc too.

And Japan after democracy had been imposed by the allies after WW2.

And Sen never said anything about a FUCNTIONING democracy,
thats you slithering off from the original claim, as you always do.

There have been food shortages in democracies, true. There may have even been widespread hunger. But never a famine.

The Irish potato famine was a famine by any measure and is called a famine too.

The ball's in your court.

Nope, yours.

Instead of flatly denying what many can demonstrate as an obvious truth,

You're lying now.

show us an example.

Just one.

I showed you 4. Bull**** your way out of those.

As you can see, hydrocarbons account for 2.48 CMOs,

But oil and gas doesnt dominate electric power generation. You are wrong.

I said "hydrocarbons."

Says he carefully deleting what he actually did say from the quoting.

He's what you ACTUALLY said

The basic problem is not ethanol, the problem is enviornmentalism.
Consider: most of our electric power and all of our transportation
energy derives from oil and gas.

You are a flagrantly dishonest pathological liar. You ACTUALLY said oil and gas, liar.

Electric power generation in the United States by source:
Coal - 50%
Natural gas - 18%
Oil - 3%
Total hydrocarbons - 71%
Nuclear - 20%
Hydropower - 7%
http://www.data360.org/graph_group.a...h_Group_Id=360

Like I said, **** all oil is involved in the generation of electricity in the US.
Even gas is only a minor contributor, less than nukes and some countrys
like France have grossly more generated by nukes than oil and gas combined.

Nuclear for a tiny fraction, probably even less than the use of charcoal.

Not in some countrys like France and Japan.

France generates 78% of its electricity from nuclear.

And **** all from oil and gas, so your original claim, which you carefully
deleted from the quoting and I have restored is clearly just plain wrong.

Japan is a little different (Japan alone accounts for half of Australia's coal exports)

Irrelevant since your stupid claim was about OIL AND GAS, not hydrocarbons.

Coal - 19%
Oil - 18%
Natural gas - 20%
Total hydrocarbon - 57%
Nuclear - 32%

Both France and Japan have substantial generation capability using nuclear energy.

What I said.

Heh! Ronald Reagan said that those who say there are no simple solutions have just not tried hard enough.

And he ended up with Alzhiemers. You're well along that line.

Can't find fault with the message,

You're lying, again. That claim is terminally stupid. There is no simple
solution to the world's consumption of crude oil, whatever that fool claimed.

so attack the messenger.

You're no messenger, just a pathological liar.

Such argumentation techniques demonstrate the paucity of arguments.

Your pathological lying in spades.

Yet the air is cleaner today than it's ever been - even cleaner than before electricity (when people burned wood
for heating). But we've got this aversion to oil exploration, production, and refining.

Nope, thats been done so extensively for so long now that the
easiest to find oil has been found and quite a bit of it consumed.

Do you realize that over 40% of our offshore potential can't even be explored or tested?

That aint the easiest to find, stupid.

You're correct. The "easiest" to find is that which seeps out of the ground as in Titusville, Pennsylvania in 1859 or
the La Brea Tar Pits today, or where seams of coal break the surface. Offshore exploration is, however, almost
trivial. The company I worked for, Western Geophysical, was selling offshore seismic survey results at $20/mile in the
Gulf of Mexico. Of course that was back when $20 was a lot of money - they're probably charging $30 today.

The problem with offshore oil aint the exploration, its the cost of getting that oil out of the ground.

It makes a lot more sense to exploit onshore oil while its available.

And you completely mangled that claim about oil and gas and electricity generation.

I never said "oil and gas." I said "hydrocarbons."

You're a pathological liar. Here is what you actually did say, liar.

The basic problem is not ethanol, the problem is enviornmentalism.
Consider: most of our electric power and all of our transportation
energy derives from oil and gas.

How odd that you deleted that from the quoting.

Hydrocarbons account for 83% of the world's energy use (not just electricity) - 71% in the U.S.

Irrelevant to your stupid claim about oil and gas in electricity generation just above.

I may no longer be in the oil bidness (as we say in Texas), but I
remember the difference between "hydrocarbons" and "oil and gas."

But your altzhiemers is now so bad that you cant even manage to remember what you actually
did say about electricity generation and have to lie about what you said just one over ago.

No wonder you got the bums rush, right out the door.