Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.energy,misc.consumers,sci.agriculture
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Food shortage ethanol follies, I've planted a food garden.

Dan Espen wrote
HeyBub wrote

Okay, show us a famine that has ever taken place in the
history of the world in a functioning democracy. There have
been food shortages in democracies, true. There may have
even been widespread hunger. But never a famine.

Wikipedia has a handy list of famines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famines

It does indeed.

A few obvious omissions tho, particularly Japan just after WW2
had ended when democracy had been imposed there by the allies.

And India after independance.

scanning the list I see there were famines in Belgium and Greece during WW2.

Those werent arguably democracys at that time tho. Holland tool.

There are a few Irish famines,

Yep, those are good examples of famines in a democracy.

and one in Scotland.

That wasnt as extreme a famine as many of the others.

I'm pretty sure all those countries had some sort of benevolent
monarchy at the time which was the fashion until only recently.

They were also democracys, in spades with Japan after WW2.

Most famines are caused by wars or natural catastrophes.

There isnt really much alternative.

Democracies were pretty uncommon in the pre-industrial era.

Wrong, particularly with the first democracys in ancient greece etc.

I'm at a loss to understand what the point is.

What was been discussed as clearly Sen's assertion
that there has never been a famine in a democracy.

He's clearly just plain wrong on that.

The cures for famine come from modern industry and peace.

Not really. In most recent times its been more about effective plant breeding
thats eliminated the famines that arent the result of war. Effective plant
breeding has been going on for a hell of a lot more than just modern times.

Democracies may lead to more peace

Even thats very arguable with WW1 and WW2 being mostly involving democracys.

but I think that's unproven.

And Sen's claim that there has never been a famine in a democracy is clearly just plain wrong.

We can certainly see counter examples in modern times.

Yep, in spades with WW1, WW2 and the cold war, and Vietnam etc.

Its certainly true that now that modern plant breeding and the transport of food to
areas affected by natural catastrophe, that its mostly areas where war or civil strife
is rampant that sees famine now, most obviously with the most recent famines.