Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Electricital question

In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 14:47:08 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

SteveB wrote:

I want to run a stun gun arc from the box about 25 feet. What would be
the
best wire to use? I want to use a two wire combo that is within one
sheath,
like a light cord. For that high voltage, should I use something as
common
as regular wire, or should I use solid copper wire.

I got my gopher blaster working, and having the button anywhere close to
the
burrow opening is not a good thing. I had two blasts that were louder
than
a .357 Magnum.

Steve

How about a remote control? By a replacement garage door opener
transmitter and receiver, then you can walk away before triggering it.
Another way would be to add a timer to give you 30 seconds (or more) to
walk away.

I would be leery of any kind of radio link, as it could be triggered by
accident at a really awkward time.

I would also recommend a radio, infrared or low-voltage wire remote
control. Keep the H.V. source close to the spark gap. The
capacitance of 25 feet of coax could soak up a lot of your spark.

Low voltage wire (e.g. speaker wire or lampcord) is probably
simplest. A kid's R/C toy could provide battery-powered radios for
under $10 but sparks might drive it nuts.
http://www.lifecozy.com/trc427003.html

How about a long low-voltage wire controlling a relay, which relay
triggers the spark?

Joe Gwinn