Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Default Scroll Saw recommendations

Thu, Jul 24, 2003, 9:58am
(Thomas=A0Mitchell) says:
snip She has this notion that I'm going to cut patterns and she's
going to paint the parts. Not sure how long that idea will last so I
don't want to put a lot of money into a tool that I will use once in a
while. snip

No, what you do is have her try it, and she gets hooked, and she
does her own sawing. Hehehehe

Well, I have a Craftsman. Works great. Variable speed. Cost
around $35-40, new, in the box. Apparently the little franchise store
about 10 mles down the road had a close out, or something. Few days
later, they had a bit different model at around $170-180, or so. Don't
know who made it, but is has worked like a charm for some years now.
Takes pin or pinless blades.

The first blades (came with the saw) broke very fast. Don't know
if they were that cheap, or just a learning curve. The one in there has
lasted I don't know how long, and has cut doubled up 1/2" plywood, no
prob, just a bit slower. I like the variable speed too.

I don't have a major vibration problem, because it is solidly
bolted down. Sits on a bed bolted to the second shelf down, just as
sitting height. Had a brace under it, which also helps a lot, but
apparently the kid kicked it out. Gotta find it and put it back.

I have no idea who made it for Sears, but seems to be well made,
and I use it pretty often. Lot of times use it instead of my bandsaw,
even on straight line cuts. And, of course, it does curves so nice,
cuts a bandsaw couldn't come close to.

Only real recommendation I have is don't get one with the little
stamped steel table. Had one of those long ago, not happy with it at
all. Mine has a table plenty big enough for me, but it has four holes
in it, so you can bolt down a larger top if you want.

JOAT
Always put off until tomorrow something which, tomorrow, you could put
off until, let's say, next year.
- Lady Myria LeJean.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...All/page4.html