Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.energy,misc.consumers,sci.agriculture
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Food shortage ethanol follies, I've planted a food garden.

In article , Frank wrote:

The low carb craze has increased grain demands by increasing demand
for livestock. Ethanol demand came in time to rescue grain farmers
from the decline of the low carb craze.

Wow. Eating a healthy diet is now a "craze"? You are aware that the hog
fattening diet is exactly the same as the USDA's food pyramid except for
one more serving of grain, right?

Pig ignorant lie. There is no meat in the hog fattening diet. No veg
either.

When farmers recycle the meat waste product back into the animal feed the
consequence was mad cow disease. What do they do with the meat waste
products now?

Yeah, eating grain is good for you. Right. That's why so many Americans
are orca fat.

Nope, the problem is the amount of it they shovel into their mouths, not
the detail of the form its in.

I think its both quantity and quality. From what I understand, most of our
meat, beef for example, are exclusively corn fed. There is no natural corn,
only hybrid genetically altered and selected for high packing density, fast
growth, resist diseases and pesticides and various characteristics to suite
the farmer's need. This genetic corn has low nutritious value and results in
six times more bad cholesterol and fat than grass fed beef. It worries me
when super strong pesticides kill the toughest weeds but couldn't touch the
corn stocks. Further, chemicals, antibiotics and growth hormones are added
to the feed. At one time, don't know about now, Europeans and even starving
Africans refuse to accept corn for the US. Alls I know is Americans are
different when compared with decades ago to the present, relative of weight,
health and behavior and I think it has to do with our food source in some
way.

Our beef would be about the same even if the corn was "older tech"
corn - just more expensive from the corn being more expensive. Beef from
cattle grown largely standing still on feedlots is different and a lot
fattier than beef from cattle that lived on grazing land and had to walk
and run a lot.

Americans are different from decades ago by getting a lot less exercise,
and eating more of everything, with a notable exception of veggies.
Americans consume especially more fast food, junk food and soda than
before. And trans fats have been used a lot mainly during and after the
second half of the 20th century.

- Don Klipstein )