Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.energy,misc.consumers,sci.agriculture
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Food shortage ethanol follies, I've planted a food garden.

In article , h wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message
om...
clipped

But...are there really people in the US who still eat lots of grains,
corn,
and rice? As a low-carber with a gluten sensitivity, I can't imagine
that
stuff fed to anything but livestock.

The low carb craze has increased grain demands by increasing demand for
livestock. Ethanol demand came in time to rescue grain farmers from the
decline of the low carb craze.

Wow. Eating a healthy diet is now a "craze"? You are aware that the hog
fattening diet is exactly the same as the USDA's food pyramid except for
one more serving of grain, right? Yeah, eating grain is good for you.
Right. That's why so many Americans are orca fat.

I've never paid attention to diet crazes, so I'm not conversant in the
"low carb" fad. All I know is that
carbs have a little more than half the calories, per gram, that fats. If
I want a plate full of food, then my
reasoning is carbs are better than fat. Of course, plenty of veggies. I
hear about people who have tried
every diet craze and still "can't" lose weight. I call them "tasters".
Pure bunk. They must think their
energy stores are some kind of nuclear reactor that keeps turning without
burning up the fuel. When
I decided to lose weight, I quit eating butter and gravy. Never loaded up
on the stuff, but I lost 40
pounds without doing anything else. The fat people I know keep a bag of
Oreo's and a liter of pop
next to their chairs at all times.

Carbs are sugar,

Many are starch.

and that's absolutely terrible for most people. Unless you are very
active, you will not use up all the carbs and then store the excess
as fat.

That is true of all forms of calories.

If you eat predominately protein and fat you become a fat burning
machine instead of a sugar burning machine, which is better for your body.

More work on the liver and kidneys. And muscles burn sugar more readily
than anything else.

Also, you don't experience the highs and lows of the sugar rush.

I eat most of my calories from starch and I don't suffer sugar highs and
lows.

The only carbs I eat are veggies and fruit, and I only eat the
lower-carb ones. And the idea of drinking any beverage with sugar in it
just amazes me. I can't quite comprehend how anyone can eat pre-packaged,
processed food. How hard is it to make a salad and broil some chicken,
meat or fish?

- Don Klipstein )