Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.energy,misc.consumers,sci.agriculture
sam[_5_] sam[_5_] is offline

Default Food shortage ethanol follies, I've planted a food garden.

h wrote:
"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
In article , h wrote:

"George" wrote in message
. ..
Frank wrote:
U.S. Rice is abundant. We grow twice as much rice as we eat.
Sam's Club
is rationing only ethnic rice. Ordinary long-grain, white rice is
cheaper than dirt - take as much as you want.

That maybe the case in your area, but we couldn't find any either
at the
local Sam's Club or Costco stores. No Texas long grain or other
type of rice. I'd checked Costo again yesterday, the shelves were
empty of rice as usual for the last few weeks, lots of beans
though, LOL. Rice prices are very high and if I'm not mistaken,
it has already triple for the year.
What we are seeing is the result of deciding to grind up food
(corn, grains, rice) to make ethanol to keep the SUVs going
without planning where that extra food will come from. At least we
have alternatives here.
How about the people in poor countries who depend on rice for food
but we
bought it to make ethanol?

But...are there really people in the US who still eat lots of
grains, corn,
and rice? As a low-carber with a gluten sensitivity, I can't
imagine that stuff fed to anything but livestock.

The low carb craze has increased grain demands by increasing demand
for livestock. Ethanol demand came in time to rescue grain farmers
from the decline of the low carb craze.

Wow. Eating a healthy diet is now a "craze"? You are aware that the hog fattening diet is exactly the same as the
USDA's food pyramid except for one more serving of grain, right?

Pig ignorant lie. There is no meat in the hog fattening diet. No veg either.

Yeah, eating grain is good for you. Right. That's why so many Americans are orca fat.

Nope, the problem is the amount of it they shovel into their mouths, not the detail of the form its in.