Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default bottle jack to raise dormer/room

"BETA-35" wrote in message
. ..
"Bob F" wrote in message
Use a large timber to spread out the force. Perhaps a 4x6 or 4x8 under the
joists to spread out the force under the whole area being lifted. Or more,
depending on the length of the area being lifted.

....... Put the pictures on a website, and
include a URL for the picture in your posting.
Okay, hopefully this link will work:

http://sjimx.com

Rather than using a piece of timber directly on the top of the bottle jack, I am
thinking I will need something like a steel plate. The reason is that I think
the top of the bottle jack will push up into any piece of timber I use.

The space I have to work with (for the bottle jack) is about 11 inches between
the top of the support column and the the cross-braces I added that will be
jacked up.

You could used a steel plate, or a chunk of hardwood, if it is really a problem.