dave martin

Default [Questions]: Beginning woodworker needs some advice

(stormwolf) wrote in message . com...
I am a beginning woodworker. I am just starting to research into this
area. My interests are to start out small - maybe build a small
shelf, a jewelery box, a small storage cabinet. Stuff like that. The
first thing is that I live in a apartment with limited room. I can
devote a little bit of room (maybe 8 ft x 6ft) for my woodworking
projects. ....

You might consider what your goals really a to efficiently build
quite a few acceptable items in which case good power tools will help,
to lovingly handbuild a few perfect items in which case you might
consider some high end traditional japanese & european hand tools,
etc..

There can be immense enjoyment in making a perfectly dovetailed box
using only traditional tools. It takes a long time, but if process
and personal accomplishment is what you seek, the "old ways" may be
for you.

Me, I don't have the patience or hand-eye coordination needed to make
fine cabinetry. I use a few makita battery powered tools (which are
quiet and precise) to make functional items using mostly doweled &
pocket drilled joints.