Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default Need Fence advise: Wood + Chain link

On Apr 23, 2:55 pm, Jon wrote:
I need to replace the fence in my back yard. I currently have a 3'
chain link fence and I intend to reuse the same post positions (8'
span). Behind the fence, also on my property, are cedar hedges. My
back yard is 50'x50' with one of the four sides being the house and
gate.

I need to replace the fence because my dogs are escaping the yard.
I've already replaced the gate with a wooden one 7' tall. I want to
install a 7' fence around the entire yard (7' is my local residential
maximum height). Because I have cedar hedges that I enjoy, I'd like
to put in black or green chain link since the hedge will grown through
it and make it effectively invisible. Our current fence is invisible
because of this.

My first problem is the prices I'm being quoted for materials. Turns
out that around here anything over 5' is pretty much commercial
grade. That means steel posts and about 5x the cost of the
residential stuff. I'm thinking that instead of using metal posts for
the corner and line posts, I'd use wood. What do you think about
using a 10' 4x4 buried 3' deep for a chain link fence post? I would
make holes in the top to pass the top bar through and would attach the
chain link with flat brackets and screws. Has anyone seen this type
of installation before? As a bonus I could run an outdoor circuit and
have a decorative lantern on every second post (the wife will find
that purdy).

Second question is securing the posts. I live in Canada and the
ground freezes during the winter. I'm thinking of digging the holes 3
1/2', fill with 3' of gravel, 3' of concrete then put in and brace the
post and fill the rest of the hole with concrete. I'd also put the
wooden post in a plastic liner so it doesn't make direct contact with
the concrete and also mound the top to prevent water accumulation.
Does that sound excessive or just about right? Would you suggest
something different for the corner posts or line posts?

Third question is how large would you dig the post holes? I'm not
planning to use sonotube for these but would you go with a 6", 8" or
10" diameter hole?

Thanks!

I second the motion on re-using the existing posts, or possibly
putting in new longer posts of the same kind (metal).

A couple years ago I took down a 4-foot high chainlink fence around my
backyard. It had been there a good 20 years at least. The galvanized
steel posts were simply driven into the ground. The buried parts were
a little rusty, but nowhere near failing. Same for the rest of the
fence -- really it was fine, just not as purdy as the wood fence I
replaced it with. This is in Chicago, long winters, clay soil, lots
of moisture. My point is the regular steel posts and chainlink wire
seem to last a long time with little care. I doubt you'd get the same
performance from wooden posts.

-- H