Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.energy,misc.consumers,sci.agriculture
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Food shortage ethanol follies, I've planted a food garden.

Bob Eld wrote
George wrote
Frank wrote

U.S. Rice is abundant. We grow twice as much rice as we eat.
Sam's Club is rationing only ethnic rice. Ordinary long-grain,
white rice is cheaper than dirt - take as much as you want.

That maybe the case in your area, but we couldn't find any either
at the local Sam's Club or Costco stores. No Texas long grain or
other type of rice. I'd checked Costo again yesterday, the shelves
were empty of rice as usual for the last few weeks, lots of beans
though, LOL. Rice prices are very high and if I'm not mistaken, it
has already triple for the year.

What we are seeing is the result of deciding to grind up food
(corn, grains, rice) to make ethanol to keep the SUVs going
without planning where that extra food will come from. At least
we have alternatives here. How about the people in poor countries
who depend on rice for food but we bought it to make ethanol?

Total BS!

Correct, but you add your own bull**** too.

Rice is not used to make ethanol in the US and rice land is not used for growing corn.

Correct.

Rice like most other commodities has been in short supply mostly
due to emergence of China and India as wealthy world powers

Wrong.

while the US dollar declines in value affecting everything, world wide, especially energy.

Wrong again.

To blame ethanol for the worlds problems is absurd.

Correct. In spades with the availability of rice.

Ethanol is a fraction of the problem and mainly affects
corn and related things like raising pork and beef. In no
way does in account for rice, fish, copper, aluminum and
a thousand other things that have seen runaway prices.

There havent been any runaway prices of anything, not even crude oil.

BTW, when was the last time you put any ethanol in your SUV?

Bit hard when I dont have a SUV.