Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Need Fence advise: Wood + Chain link

Jon wrote:

I like the idea of sleeving the existing posts. The immediate concern
is are the corner posts strong enough to handle the added height.
Perhaps I can replace the corner posts and sink those deep while
keeping and sleeving the existing line posts.

They are probably strong enough. If there's a concern, use diagonal bracing.

Since the spacing is
the same I can re-use the top posts (reduce, re-use, recycle!) and
most of the hardware. There was also a suggestion of reusing keeping
the existing chain link and adding another strip on top. I could buy
some 4' or 5' (1' overlap) fencing to do that but then would I have to
"mesh" the fences together? Has anyone tried this? Could I run a
tension wire through both meshes or should I do some kind of splicing
(that seems labor intensive)?

If you overlap a foot, there probably wouldn't be much need for interlocking
the strips. Even so, it's got to be less labor intensive than trying to deal
with an 8' roll of fencing material. Besides, I thought you said there was a
hedge intruding on the fence. The limbs and vines and runners and leaves and
twigs and the blooms and the bird-nests etc ought to provide ample interlace
integrity.