Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon[_6_] Jon[_6_] is offline

Default Need Fence advise: Wood + Chain link

On Apr 24, 1:10 pm, " wrote:
invisblefenceinstalled around perimeter. dogs will learn to stay
away fromfence....... no more climbing jumping........

least cost way to solve problem doesnt change appearance of yard at
all

Thanks for the advice! The problems with the invisible fence and our
situation are many. I have looked into it and while it may work
sometimes, I need something that works all the time every time.

For those suggesting to just add the hot wire I have additional
concerns beyond the by-laws. There are plenty of kids in the area
(including mine) and I don't want to get into a situation where a kid
gets zapped on my fence.

Honestly doing the doggy Alcatraz fence is the better solution to the
alternatives: Get rid of dogs (nope), tie up dogs (likely to get
injured; huskies play rough), build a dog run (I'd rather a tall fence
around my yard than in my yard).

I like the idea of sleeving the existing posts. The immediate concern
is are the corner posts strong enough to handle the added height.
Perhaps I can replace the corner posts and sink those deep while
keeping and sleeving the existing line posts. Since the spacing is
the same I can re-use the top posts (reduce, re-use, recycle!) and
most of the hardware. There was also a suggestion of reusing keeping
the existing chain link and adding another strip on top. I could buy
some 4' or 5' (1' overlap) fencing to do that but then would I have to
"mesh" the fences together? Has anyone tried this? Could I run a
tension wire through both meshes or should I do some kind of splicing
(that seems labor intensive)?

This is good stuff, thanks!