Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default searching for lawn mower repair advice

On Apr 24, 9:52*am, BobK207 wrote:
On Apr 24, 7:31*am, Rick wrote:

Hi;

* I've got a Tecumseh mower engine that will start but runs for a
second or two then dies.

I've read through some posts on this list discussing the same
problems.and followed the advice; fuel lines are clean, the carb. bowl
fills up with gas when primed, Needle valve seems intact and opening
is clear. I've removed and soaked the carb. in paint thinner and blew
out the openings with air. Scrubbed it and reinstalled it.

No change in operation though. The air cleaner is not even installed
at this point so I think that can be ruled out. The little tube is
sticking out in the open air (yes, the tube is clear) Choke linkage
also appears to move freely.

The engine is a Tecumseh LEV 120.
I got on their website but was not able to download an owners manual.

Any advice appreciated,
Rick

Rick-

What has happened to it since it last ran properly?

My neighbor has a MK-3 concrete saw that he bought, ran & let sit for
~ a year. * We went to run it two days ago & it would "start but runs
for a few seconds then dies."

Bottom line clogged ports / passages in carb. *Carb cleaner & small
diameter welding rods to probe the passages.

Some carbs have a diaphragm in them that can dry out, get stiff & not
flex.

Sounds like you could use a card rebuild kit. *Also carb cleaner is a
better solvent for gummed up gas than paint thinner.

Had similar problems with a chain saw, carb kit got it going again.

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

Paint thinner wont clean it.